TR:Aug 26 - Sept1, 2019, Rock Harbor - Windigo, via Greenstone

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

CJN
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

TR:Aug 26 - Sept1, 2019, Rock Harbor - Windigo, via Greenstone

Post by CJN »

Just now putting in a trip report for my first ever trip to the island last year in 2019. I thought I would do this, because I was so grateful for everyone else on here in using their information to help plan my trip. I greatly appreciate the great resource this site was in planning my trip.

This was my first big hike like this. I am in my mid 50's, and my goal was to just complete this end to end walk, without getting hurt, and to see some moose. I used some older, heavier gear, because, i didn't know if I would ever go back again, or use new gear I had to purchase.

Day1: Took ferry from MN to Windigo and onto Rock Harbor. Was a long boat ride. Forecast was for heavy eavning rain, 1-3 inches, with strong winds. Left RH at 4 pm, via Tobin Harbor trail to 3 Mile camp. Was lucky enough to share a shelter, with a couple from MI. Thank you.. Got there before rain started.

Day 2: 3 Mile to west chickenbone. trail up hill from 3 mile was brutal. exposed rock and roots, deeply eroded. Mt Franklin was the best site, I saw on this trip. It was beautiful. Took lots of photos. Thanks to the 2 ladies from New York who took my picture. saw 2 moose. Long hard day, but feeling ok. walked from 730 am - 345 pm.

Day3: W. chickenbone to hatchet lake. 9 am - 3 pm, slow and took many breaks. saw 1 moose.

Day 4: Hatchet lake to S. Desor Lake. 8 am - 2 pm. Heavy rain and thunderstroms during my walk for 3 hrs. just had to keep going, nothing else you could do. Didnt really want to wait under a tree in a thunderstorm. 0 moose.

Day 5: S. Desor - Windigo. Planned on staying at Island Mine, but past the junction at 1145, and didnt want to sit around camp all day, so kept on to Windigo. 8 am - 330, walking. about last 9 miles was all downhill, which was really hard on toes getting cramed in front of boots. Glad to make it to campground. 0 moose on trail.

Day 6: was my extra day, I built in, in case of injury etc. I didnt use it on the trail, (probably should have) but was nice to relax and watch the moose in Wash Creek.

Saw 12 moose overall.
Enjoyed the Bud Lite from the store, until they closed.
Day 7: Got on ferry back to MN.

one walking stick was a huge help, especially going downhill with a heavy pack. Never fell once, only lost my footing once.
walked one day for 3.5 hrs, without seeing another person on the trail.
great time of year, very few bugs. didnt carry any bug spray to save wt. and didnt need it.
pack was about 45 lbs with 3 L of water, and walked about 45 miles overall. The walks into and out of camps, added some extra.

Will do again. Loved it.
I will be posting on here, plans for 2 other trips and need advice about those. Will take different routes to see different areas.
Thanks again for your help, whether you realized it or not, it was very valuable info.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: TR:Aug 26 - Sept1, 2019, Rock Harbor - Windigo, via Greenstone

Post by Midwest Ed »

I'm glad you made your "first big hike" and it was so successful and enjoyable. Good you won your gamble on the bug spray. That time of year it was a fair gamble but for a few ounces I don't think I would have done it. Now that you've checked off the most often made route for first timers you can now return to see more and more of the places that many "veterans" consider the best (or better places). It sounds like you're certainly up for it, especially after you pare down some of that weight. It seems that Washington Creek is almost always a "go to" place for moose.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Thanks for the report. Also regarding bug spray, I sometimes leave the chemical spray behind, but I always bring a headnet - for 0.5oz, it may save my sanity sometime. The view from Mt. Franklin is a favorite of mine too!
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

thanks for the report! And congratulations on accomplishing your extremely well-conceived goal: "to just complete this end to end walk, without getting hurt, and to see some moose." Without falling, to boot! (I've never not fallen.)

weight paring: there's quite a bit you can do without forking out $$$ for space age fabrics.
*don't bring what you don't need---especially food, which at the end of the day makes up the majority of a pack weight. The more trips you take, the better/more confident you'll get about leaving things at home.
*to minimize the weight of the food you do bring, make sure most of it is calorie-dense. Doesn't need to be official backpacking food (which often smuggles in a lot of weight in the form of packaging). Trader Joes has a lot of options. (https://www.freshoffthegrid.com/backpac ... ader-joes/)
*use cheapo re-purposed plastic water bottles --- for some reason the hiking world has fixated on SmartWater --- instead of Nalgenes. Saves about 5 oz per bottle.
*the Sawyer squeeze filter system is affordable (around $30), reliable, light, and effective. NB the pouch can double as one of your water bottles.
*also around $30, an alcohol stove system is a light and simple option for solo hikers whose culinary aspirations end at boiling water. THis one hasn't failed me: https://www.traildesigns.com/products/c ... one-system