Moderator: Tom

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Possible trip at the end of August

Post by johnhens »

DonNewcomb wrote:
johnhens wrote:
Actually, I think it says you have to want to go there. Many parks get a lot of people driving through or just visiting for the day. This does not mean that I.R. is better or worse than any other NP, just different.
I don't recall anyone saying the IR is better or worse than any other NP. The fact that it is difficult to get to and the number of visitors that return speaks , IMO, what a special place it is. People who frequent the various National Parks all have their "favorites" and return year after year, for the same reason I suspect, that the folks here return to IR. For us it is a "Special Place", and maybe better than the other NP'S for what it means to each of us.
I would venture to guess you ask 10 different people on this site what it is that makes them return to IR and you will get varying answers. For me, it is a feeling I get when I step on board the Voyager in Spring and see familair faces that have been looking forward to this since last Spring. It is the feeling I get as we enter the channel to Washington Harbor and seeing Ranger Valerie waiting on the dock to give us our LNT speech. It is the feeling I get rounding Blake Point in large waves and looking at the ominous conditions on the lake to the SE. It is wondering what life must have been like for the folks who eeked out a living fishing, lumbering ect. on the Island.

Hearing the mournful call of loons in Moskey Basin, watching the Northern Lights, feeling the familiar tug of a northern slashing at my 5 of Diamonds. Wondering if aound the next bend, a moose will be on the trail. Hearing the impressive calls of wolves close by and feeling the tingle on my neck. Seeing the great variety of Spring Migrants feeding in the leafless trees along the shore.

The othere day, I walked into a store to look at wood stoves. I had my Isle Royale T shirt on. The young guy who came up to ask me if I needed any help saw my T shirt and we spent the next 25 minutes talking about Isle Royale. He said he had always wanted to go. I post on Backpacker.com and get many inquiries from people all over the US wanting to go to IR, a lot of them who live near Parks that are more visited and famous than IR.Universally, they all say "I hear IR is a "Special Place" .

I hope your trip goes well and you enjoy your stay!!
Look forward to your TR!!
John
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Jerry, have a great trip!!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Thanks for all the posts! And yes, I've been checking the weather every day.

I haven't posted last year's trip yet, but what I do like about ISRO NP is what happened to me at Hatchet Lake. My first night (last year) at Hatchet I camped with some scouts and their leaders. Being an old man I usually get up at least once a night. Just before visiting the outhouse a pack of wolves ran through the campground. About an hour later they were on the other side of the lake and making a lot of noise. The next evening I was the only camper at Hatchet. And they came through again. There was a heck of a storm that night and when they woke me up at about 2:30 they must have been complaining about all the thunder.

So far I've feel like my visits were almost like a retreat. I've talked some folks into going next year already, I hope they don't back out.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

So they ate all the scouts but you were too tough and rangy for them? :lol:
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

You're probably right Don. I might see you at Chippewa Harbor next Friday. I'm solo again this year.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Tom, Just checked the temperature, it is 52 up there.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Perfect hiking temperature!!
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I'll be on the road to Copper Harbor in about 11 or 12 hours.