Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: North Side Canoe Trip 7/27 to 8/2

Post by moss13 »

John,
Reading your trip report was a great way to start my day! The log and pictures were absolutely great! I really like how you log the times. It really helps give a better idea what to expect on future trips. I looked at my map as I was looking at your pictures and reading your trip log so I could follow along.

Lots of great pictures. My favorites are,

Washington Harbor with Rock of Ages Lighthouse in the disance with the shoreline of pine trees. Excellent.

McCargoe Cove from Birch Island

Belle Isle Sunrise #1,5,10 and 12.

Sleeping Giant from Mt. Franklin. I have been to Sleeping Giant Park in Canada. Incredible place too!

Baking on the fire.

Off Hill Point. Love the angle of that one as it sits close to the water.

Duncan Narrows #2, yoga on the dock, sitting on the dock.

Duncan/Tobin portage. Laura's look at the beginning of the portage is an absolute Classic! Her expression says it all what she and most of us think of that portage!

Quote of the Day "Starts out a little steep" ha ha.

Oh Yeh photo is great too. Nice to see folks still use a tumpline once in awhile!

Middle Island Passage

Isle Royale Lighthouse Menagerie Island

Thanks for sharing. Looked like another great trip!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Tom wrote:I think from now on I'm just going to borrow the Ingo Pack List. That way if any thing is missing or I forget something, I have someone else to blame.. :lol:
I'm always happy to be the scapegoat! But we really weren't missing anything :)
moss13 wrote:I really like how you log the times. It really helps give a better idea what to expect on future trips.
Yeh, that's why I do it--I don't remember from 1 trip to the next. Same with the gear list and menus.
moss13 wrote:Duncan/Tobin portage. Laura's look at the beginning of the portage is an absolute Classic! Her expression says it all what she and most of us think of that portage!
Don't know why she's looking at the canoe that way--I carried it :shock: (although she did do the shorter one).
moss13 wrote:Quote of the Day "Starts out a little steep" ha ha.
I had forgotten how steep that bank was. Almost had a pack roll back into the lake!
moss13 wrote:Oh Yeh photo is great too. Nice to see folks still use a tumpline once in awhile!
I have to admit that it was actually taken at the start of the portage. I said "Smile for the camera", and that's what I got. She's a bit of a ham :D. I don't understand why all the new packs seem to have hip belts and no tumpline. Heck the voyageurs carried 150 lb packs with them!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Ingo - What a great trail report and photos. Thanks for sharing. I have less than 3 weeks before I get my time on the Island.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

DonNewcomb wrote:
Ingo wrote:Finally got pics and trip log up on my website.
Is that an orchid or an iris?
That is an iris, i have a picture of the same flower.

Great photos and TR. Your camera is much better than mine