Family Vacation II

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Family Vacation II

Post by Don_P »

We're taking our girls for their first Isle Royale trip next week. We have two possible plans I'd like feedback on:

Plan 1:
Day 1 - Rock Harbor to Chippewa Harbor via taxi, then hike to Lake Ritchie
Day 2 - Hike to McCargoe Cove
Day 3 - Relax, fish, day hikes
Day 4 - Hike to Daisy Farm
Day 5 - Relax, fish, day hikes
Day 6 - Hike out

Plan 2:
Day 1 - Rock Harbor to Chippewa Harbor via taxi
Day 2 - Hike to Moskey Basin
Day 3 - Relax, fish, day hikes
Day 4 - Hike to Daisy Farm
Day 5 - Relax, fish, day hikes
Day 6 - Hike out

We're leaning toward Plan 1 because McCargoe Cove is our favorite place on the island and the plan has lots of flexibility. That said, we've never been to Chippewa Harbor. Thoughts / suggestions? Our girls are 8 and 12.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Family Vacation II

Post by Ingo »

Don, both sound like good relaxing plans, but my first thought is if you haven't been to Chippewa you should spend the 1st night there. If you think that C.H. to McCargoe is a little too much for the kids, you might do 2 short days to get there. At first I was thinking that I probably like Moskey a little better than McCargoe, but then I thought about the mines--the girls might love crawling thru the shaft and exploring! Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH