Moderator: Tom

Kim Overholt
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

TR: 08.14 - 08.22 RH to points beyond

Post by Kim Overholt »

8/14 - 8/22, Via Houghton / Ranger III

Final Itinerary was:
1st night- cabin @ Rock Harbor Lodge, visited with the mgr Kim with whom we worked there 27 yrs. ago
2nd night - McCargo Cove. (We wanted Birch Is. but it was taken.)
3rd - 4th night - Belle Isle (Favorite!)
5th night - Chippewa Harbor
6th night - Chippewa Harbor (weather bound, we wanted Tookers or Caribou Is.)
7th night - cabin @ Rock Harbor Lodge, visited again with Kim and others including the son and daughter of former RHL coworkers!
*We took our 18' boat aboard the Ranger III. She performed like a champ. Handled our gear, the weather and the Lady's many faces.
*Ate fish, very, very few skeeters, over 1000 pics between three cameras, saw some new places, mosyly great weather except ... see below
*I would really!! like to know how much rain fell between 8/19 to 8/21! :shock: It took well over 10 minutes to empty the bilge on Friday morning!
*A group of hikers came in late to Chipp. on Thursday night. Friday morning they were begging for a boat ride back to RH. Woefully, foolishly, (could have been dangerously), underprepared for the rain. Drenched to the bone and shivering. They hoped to get on the Voyager. HELLO??? I gently broke the news to them that that would be a really long way back. The girl started to cry. Her boyfriend? was still talking to other boaters. I gave her/them our shelter and a hank of rope. I told her to rig their tent's rainfly as a windblock then strip and get in their bags and eat! "Mom" mode came out. About the time I was seeking out NPS at RH to report that they may need to tbe checked on, we saw them. Another boat had room and brought them back.
*Gale warnings so the Ranger III didn't show up until about 1:30 PM on Saturday. We got back to Houghton at 8:45 PM but didn't get our boat offloaded until 9:15. Dropped our son and his gear off at 2:30 AM and arrived home at 4:30 AM.
Detailed report to come. I have to get our daughter off to college and then it's back to work (school for me) this week.
Kimmers
(RHL Emp. Summer of '82)

The best thinking is often rethinking.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: TR: 08.14 - 08.22 RH to points beyond

Post by DonNewcomb »

Kim Overholt wrote: The girl started to cry. Her boyfriend? was still talking to other boaters. I gave her/them our shelter and a hank of rope. I told her to rig their tent's rainfly as a windblock then strip and get in their bags and eat! "Mom" mode came out. About the time I was seeking out NPS at RH to report that they may need to tbe checked on, we saw them. Another boat had room and brought them back.
35 years ago my young bride went on one overnight backpacking trip with me. She's been telling the story ever since. Just think of the story that girl will have to tell. :lol:
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Sounds like you had a great trip, looking forward to pics!!
Any fish caught?
Kim Overholt
NewbieCake

Post by Kim Overholt »

Fish: thanks to advice from a person at Rock Harbor we learned that the fish were quite shallow due to the gale action the week before and very active. We didn't have to worry about trying to get deep with out downriggers. We caught three very nice size lakers at McCargo Cove area. We ate two and cooked up and shared the third with the campers/hikers. (I counted 31 people staying there not including us four!) Skunked the next day. Caught two more later in the week including a 26". No luck on northerns though. My son got about 6-8 hits at Brady Cove but the cabbage weed hubby remembers being there was almost non-existent. A guy at Chippewa Harbor got one there before the rain started and we just never could work up the energy to tryour selves.
Kimmers
(RHL Emp. Summer of '82)

johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

How deep were the fish and what did you use?
Kim Overholt
NewbieCake

Post by Kim Overholt »

Mike says the lakers were caught between 25-40' in 30-80' of water. They used a deep six and a double deep six diver with a j-plug (blue and silver and wonderbread). It only took 2 hours of trolling to supper.
Kimmers
(RHL Emp. Summer of '82)

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

*I would really!! like to know how much rain fell between 8/19 to 8/21!
At Mott Island:
8/19: .03
8/20: 1.82
8/21: 1.05

2.9 inches of rain!!

(http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... span=month)
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Tom wrote:
*I would really!! like to know how much rain fell between 8/19 to 8/21!
At Mott Island:
8/19: .03
8/20: 1.82
8/21: 1.05

2.9 inches of rain!!

(http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... span=month)
Good site, perhaps they would need some to overwinter to maintain the sensors, precipitation collector ect!!