9/4 - 9/11: 8 Incredible Days

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

BlackCoffee
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

9/4 - 9/11: 8 Incredible Days

Post by BlackCoffee »

My husband and I recently returned from an 8-day trip to Isle Royale. It was an incredible trip where we let go of everything back home and cared about nothing except living in the moment and taking in the amazing scenery and wildlife.

There is a link below to my blog, where I'm writing about it in day by day postings, but here is an overview:
Day One: Rock Harbor to Lane Cove
Day Two: Lane Cove to Daisy Farm
Day Three: Daisy Farm to Moskey Basin
Day Four: Moskey Basin to W. Chickenbone
Day Five: W. Chickenbone to McCargoe Cove
Day Six: McCargoe Cove to Daisy Farm
Day Seven: Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor
Day Eight: Hung out in Rock Harbor area

The highlight of the trip was in the morning on the 5th day. We got up when it was still dark out and left our campsite at W. Chickenbone just after sunrise. Ten minutes later on Indian Portage Trail, we encountered 5 members of a pack of wolves. We didn't know what to do, so we just stood there and tried to act casual. One stepped out in front and watched us, as if making sure the rest of the pack could pass behind him (or her?) to safety. Three of them scattered into the woods, but the last one stepped up behind the leader and kept an eye on us as well. The lead wolf was gray and the one who stood behind him was brownish. They watched us for a few seconds, then the gray one took 3 or 4 steps toward us. I managed to snap a blurry picture before the two of them stepped off the plank and into the trees. They hung around the edge of the trail for a few more seconds, then disappeared.

We have a set of photos posted here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasunto/se ... 373348674/
Last edited by BlackCoffee on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: 9/4 - 9/11: 8 Incredible Days

Post by Ingo »

Love the pics.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jeastbur
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by jeastbur »

Incredible photos. Thanks for sharing.

Josh
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I'm at work and can't see the pictures because the web people blocked 'em, but the story about the pack of wolves is so cool...I'm jealous. I've been on that Indian Portage trail more times than I can remember and haven't come close to seeing any wolves. That's a damn cool experience.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

:shock: OMG! You saw wolf and moose! The biggest mammal we saw was a squirrel.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Great photos, BlackCoffee! Rare indeed it is to see a wolf, let alone a group. A special moment indeed.

DonNewcomb:
OMG! You saw wolf and moose! The biggest mammal we saw was a squirrel.
Don't feel bad, Don! While any ol' hiker can go to a National Park and perhaps see a moose or a wolf, only the IR visitors have seen Tamiasciurus hudsonicus regalis, the unique, only-found-on-Isle-Royale subspecies.
I try to tell myself that every annoying time they find me at camp. That squirrel at Desor North is especially bothersome..
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake

Post by BlackCoffee »

Those squirrels are definitely not shy. We had quite an aggressive one running around our campsite at W. Chickenbone and we were very sick of it by the time it retired for the night!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Those were great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I think we met along the trail between Lake Richie and W. Chickenbone. Two olders guys sucking air. We were being chased, I mean followed by 2 older women.

Edited: 10/2/09. I checked my journal and I recorded meeting Nina and Craig from the Detroit area.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake

Post by BlackCoffee »

Philranger,
Yep - I remember meeting you now, too. Those two women were everywhere and totally putting us to shame. We camped near them at Daisy Farm, saw them right after we met you, then again at Rock Harbor at the end of the trip.
We also stayed in Shelter #2 at Moskey Basin. It was an amazing spot - our favorite on the trip.
philranger
Bushwacker

Post by philranger »

I see by your pictures, you we had the same campsite at W. Chickenbone. The one on the water closest to the Greenstone. Did you have the chatty squirrel and bold rabbit come by?
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake

Post by BlackCoffee »

Did we ever! The squirrel actually kept chasing the rabbit through our site. The rabbit was ok, but the squirrel would not shut up! I was so happy when it turned in for the night.
philranger
Bushwacker

Post by philranger »

BC. I see from your pictures you have been to Painted Rocks. I have some more questions. Can you email me at: wmeyer@cityofmadison.com Thanks.