Trip Report - 9/18/09 Finished Hiking Isle Royale Trails

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

yankee60
NewbieCake

Trip Report - 9/18/09 Finished Hiking Isle Royale Trails

Post by yankee60 »

I've posted a trip report and pics from my hike on Isle Royale earlier this week. Click here to view:
http://www.butler-bremer.com/web/kladag ... Report.htm
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Trip Report - 9/18/09 Finished Hiking Isle Royale Trails

Post by johnhens »

Thanks for one of the best TR's I have read!!
It is amazing to read of your thoughts of your first trip to IR. I have spoken to many whose experience is the same as yours.
I wish I could explain to those who have not been, the feeling one gets upon stepping foot on the dock at Windigo or Rock Harbor. I truly hope that in others lives they get that "feeling" that many here do upon stepping foot on IR.
Experiencing a rough ride on Superior, another part of the "Experience", I told my girlfriend a few years ago on a bad trip, that as we got into the lee of the Island the waves would get smaller and once she stepped on "land" she would be fine and in fact would want to eat again. During the LNT talk, she wolfed down a PB&J !!!

So now that you have walked the Island, there is paddling the Island. You need to paddle the 5 fingers area, much to see!
A pleasant paddle down Rock Harbor to Moskey Basin!!! Paddling the Islands in Malone Bay!!
One of the great things about going back (you need to go in May when the Warblers are moving through!) is not having an agenda and being able to go where you wish w/o regard to schedule. You will see things you may have missed in the past, the little things that a photographer will appreciate!!

I have been using a Katadyn Base Camp for a while, how did you like the MSR, was it as fast as they claim?

Again, Great TR!!
John
yankee60
NewbieCake

Post by yankee60 »

Thank you for the positive feedback on the trip report.

As much as I have tried, I was not able to convince my wife to join me at least once on Isle Royale. If she didn't have to take one of the boats or a sea-plane, I think she would readily go, but both are too much for her. She does however, have a passion for the Boundary Waters, so I won't complain. We've spent many great times together in the BWCA.

I have no experience with the Katadyn Base Camp filter, so I can't compare it to the MSR. I'll tell you that the MSR AutoFlow is very fast, especially when the filter is clean. I routinely backflush mine and almost always have a full, steady stream to fill my bottles. The one trick I learned is to have the outlet fitting threaded loosely on your bottle to allow air to escape as water is filling. A tight fit will nearly stop water flow. I do the same, in reverse, when I backflush. I've wondered too about taste. Without a carbon element in the filter, like my MiniWorks filter has, will I ever notice "water taste" from dirtier water, like when I had to filter not so clean water on the Appalachian trail? So far, on IR and in the BWCA, the filtered water has been clean and very good to drink.

I'm already considering the logistics of paddling on/around IR. Since my wife certainly won't join me, I'll have to talk to some paddling buddies for next year. With the growing popularity of paddling - at least around my area - I should be able to find someone. I can almost see the images now...deep blue water and rich green vegetation along the shore on a rugged, rocky base. Oh boy, here comes that urge again...
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

yankee60 wrote: I have no experience with the Katadyn Base Camp filter, so I can't compare it to the MSR.
I would suggest you look at the ULA AmigoPro. http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigopro.asp Same filter, lighter weight configuration, cheaper too.
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer

Post by upnorthjeeper »

Thanks for the water (I'm thinking about getting one now) from your neat-o gravity filter when I met you at the 3 Mile dock on my first day. You are right I should have dropped my bag while I visited. I did not hike all the way to Windigo as planned, I'll share those details in my report which should be up in a few days.

My ride over had quite a few people that were going for the wedding as well. I sat next to the father of the bride on the way over, he's been teaching photography for 20 years if I am correct, he had quite the bag of gear. We had 4-6 ft waves and yes I as well as about ~50% went "overboard". MY ride home was no better but I took 2 Dramamine instead of 1, I was just fine!

Your trip report was amazing, as well as the photos. I'll share pics some once I get back to my place, my dads computer doesn't read SDHC cards...
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
MirandaL
NewbieCake

Post by MirandaL »

I've posted a trip report and pics from my hike on Isle Royale earlier this week.
Hiking Isle Royale has been on my "always wanted to do but never got around to" list for years but something else always seemed to take priority – work, family, house, etc. Now that I’m an empty nester and have more time, I'm planning my hike for late fall this year. My hiking experience is mostly limited to one day hiking trips in New York. Many visitors to New York may not know there are many unique hikes ranging in difficulty from easy to strenuous. We book the hikes through our hotel and I recommend both the The Michelangelo Hotel NYC and the Hilton Garden Inn West 35th St. New York which both have excellent concierge services which are free of charge. Really enjoyed your trip report - photos are exceptional!
Last edited by MirandaL on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Thank you for the detailed trip report. I have not been on that side of the island so hearing yours helps paint a vivid picture of what I have missed. Congratulation on section hiking all of IR. Any other parks next?