Hidden Lake to Rock Harbor on foot

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

karebing
NewbieCake

Hidden Lake to Rock Harbor on foot

Post by karebing »

Well,

I guess it was good that I decided to do a more detailed look at my itinerary because....I am thinking there is no way to go from Lane Cove, up to the Greenstone and head east to Hidden Lake and then down to Rock Harbor....because we would have to swim then? ha ha....perhaps I am missing something? Do most people do that section as a day trip? Or is there a pick up at the dock there? Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this section and how to access it? Thanks, Karen
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Hidden Lake to Rock Harbor on foot

Post by IncaRoads »

Excerpt from the Rock Harbor Lodge and Marina website ( http://foreverlodging.com/foreverinfo.c ... ntKey=2612 ) ...

Water Taxi Service
To help you gain quicker access to the backcountry, our water taxi can drop you off or pick up you and your canoes or kayaks at many of the islands docks. Maximum of six people including backpacks, or four people and two canoes per trip. Reservations, well in advance, are recommended.

Rates One Way: 1 - 5 Miles
Caribou Island, (5 miles)
Tookers Island, (2 miles)
Three Mile Dock, (3 miles)
Mott Island, (4 miles)
Hidden Lake Dock, (4 miles)
One or Two people: $62.00
Each additional person (up to 6 people): $4.00
karebing
NewbieCake

Post by karebing »

Thanks Inca, Great info. and here is what I did with it! :D

I called and made a reservation for a pick up at 3:00 at Hidden Lake Dock. There is room for two more if anyone is interested and it would take the costs down some as well. The route from lane Cove to the pickup site is.....I think....7.5 miles, but I am not sure if that includes the trail down from louise lookout point to the dock. Either way, it looks doable.

Karen
egraetze
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by egraetze »

Taxi fee seems pretty steep.
We were at Rock Harbor at the end of our trip exactly one week ago. We rented a canoe for 4 hrs, and paddled the Tobin Harbor to the very end, including a stop at the Hidden Lake dock and hike up to Lookout Louise. The view to the north at the lookout is incredible. Plan to drop your packs at the Greenstone trail end and hike up the short let to the lookout. Monument Rock is really cool too. My kids and I were saying, why don't people hook up with others renting a canoe and get dropped off at Hidden Lake if they are starting their trip there? The canoe rental was I recall about $32.

The walk down from the Greenstone to the dock is very easy including a lengthy boardwalk that they made double wide.

Eric
karebing
NewbieCake

Post by karebing »

Eric,

That is not a bad thought but.....a hard one I think to coordinate esp. at this late date. PLUS....we are needing a pick up rather than a drop off which is even harder to coordinate with others you have never met. LOL. No worries however, although it is a steep fare I agree, with the 4 of us, it is only $16.00/per person. Not bad considering it allows one to hike a great portion of the trail that we wouldn't have had the time to do otherwise. So many trails, so little time. :) Good to hear about the highlights and the trail. I am hoping we get a early, early start so we can hike and smell the roses, or thimbleberries, see the sites you mentioned and make it on time for our pick up.

Karen
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

karebing,
Many do your planned hike in reverse order, drop off at Hidden Lake dock, view Monument Rock, Lookout Louise, then on to Lane Cove, then on to where ever they decide for the next section of their journey. A lot of folks take this trip to Hidden Lake/Rock/Lookout and then just walk back to Rock Harbor as a day hike excursion.
When I did this in 2009, I hiked RH to Lane Cove, made camp. The next day, did a day trip, to Lookout/Rock/Lake and then back to Lane Cove. Nothing wrong with two nights at Lane Cove. But, with this type itinerary, you will do best if your hiking legs are in top form.
You will enjoy either option, be safe. HYOH :)
Attachments
Monument Rock, Isle Royale, MI-resize_2064.jpg
Excuse the hiker trash in the center of the photo
Excuse the hiker trash in the center of the photo
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

You will do 8.0 miles total (per the Trails Illustrated map by Nat. Geo), if you climb out of Lane Cove, and do as planned to the pick-up at Hidden Lake dock. Very doable, just get an early start. Especially, if it's raining or the trails are slick, which would slow one down.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

For what it's worth...I hiked out to 3 mile and base camped. I did the 3 Mile to Hidden Lake as a day hike. I suppose it was a bit redundant, but I had a nice lunch at Hidden Lake and the trail, for the most part was flat and easy.