Training or shakedown trail suggestion SE Michigan

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

egraetze
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Training or shakedown trail suggestion SE Michigan

Post by egraetze »

I am going to Isle Royale in mid July for a week long backpacking trip with my two older kids (20 & 21). I've been to the island in the late 80s, but neither of my kids had. All of us are doing plenty to be physically prepared, but we need to throw in a couple of hikes with packs. I went for a 9 mile hike with loaded pack with my son the weekend before last. We did it on the Poto trail in Pinckney Rec. I thought at least some of the hills were a pretty good climb, and it was a good hike particularly since we both loaded our pack to nearly 50 lbs total each. We will all go to Highland Rec on Sunday. I would like to have one other trail in a couple of weeks and would like any suggestion of trails to try as we don't want to do the same one twice. Our home is in Brighton.

Thanks,
Eric
padraig777
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Training or shakedown trail suggestion SE Michigan

Post by padraig777 »

Well, being in SE Michigan, I know you have a ways to go to find some decent hills...I don't think you should worry about the climbs too much....just make sure to get out with the weight in your pack and have your body ready. Have a great trip!
fredly
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by fredly »

The Potowatomi Trail would be a good choice for anyone in southern Michigan. I hiked it in October this year and found some of the hills to be as challenging as Isle Royale. I was the only one at the campground in Blind Lake.
ffinmich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ffinmich »

If you do go to Highland rec. make sure you go up Haven Hill. You can alos go up the back side of the hill, its realy step there
michigandave
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by michigandave »

I do the overnight to Blind Lake a couple times a year at Pinckney and it really is a great trip. Since you go to Highland Rec Area, another 10 minutes east on m-59 puts you at Pontiac Lake. The outer loop is about 9 miles and there's some nice climbs that will give you a workout. Trails are in pretty good shape, except in certain areas of heavy mountain bike use. Make sure you go counter clockwise so you see them coming!