Hello

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

kjpenka1
NewbieCake

Hello

Post by kjpenka1 »

Hi everyone, new here. Thinking about taking a trip here with my brother sometime to fish and camp. I have a question that I couldn't find the answer to when I searched. When hiking on the island are you limited to designated hiking trails? Will you get in trouble for venturing off of the path? On a similar note are you only allowed to camp at designated camp sites? Thank you.
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Hello

Post by alecto73 »

http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/viewtop ... f=4&t=1057

check out the second link in the first post for some info that may help. It is worth noting that off trail looked pretty "challenging" to me in most places when I was there. Lots of expertise on this board so I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback on your question.
|| Jess ||
kjpenka1
NewbieCake

Post by kjpenka1 »

Thanks for responding so quickly. I didn't expect that because the forums didn't look very busy lately. I'm guessing that the forums see more activity when the weather starts to get warmer.
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

There are plenty of folks here that will talk gear and routes all winter (I hope). I'm pretty much a geek so I'm online a lot and since I'm going back in 2012 I'm "active" lately (anxious). I think many people would say that once you go to IR you're planning your return trip on the ride back to the mainland. I know I was.
|| Jess ||
kjpenka1
NewbieCake

Post by kjpenka1 »

Wow, good to here it has that much of an impact on visitors because I'm still in the process of deciding whether or not to actually go to the island or just take a fishing trip elsewhere in Michigan.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

kjpenka1 wrote:Wow, good to here it has that much of an impact on visitors because I'm still in the process of deciding whether or not to actually go to the island or just take a fishing trip elsewhere in Michigan.
No way, go to Isle Royale! First-off, the fishing & camping is AMAZING, and second-off, it'll be one of those trips-of-a-lifetime. I have to friends who came all the way from Arizona who will atest to that (I'm looking at a Facebook message from them as to when we can go back right now).

And WELCOME to the forums. Yes, they do slow down a bit in the winter, but come the spring, they will be lively with planned trips and questions galore. I appreciate you injecting a little life into them for us, however :)
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

To go off trail and camp at places other then designated campgrounds you'll need a special permit that is obtained from the visitor center(s) upon arrival or on the Ranger. You'll find that we like/love this Park for many reasons. I enjoy not having to worry about bears, lyme disease or poison ivy. Also there have been times that I didn't see or speak to someone for 24 hours or more. This place is a retreat from our crazy world. I've enjoyed great tasting fish at Chippewa Harbor and I never brought any fishing gear with me. The folks I came across insisted that I eat some of their surplus that they couldn't eat. I too think you'll be enjoying the trip. Look forward to hearing about your experiences.
mike
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by mike »

Check out the "Trails and Campsites" section, the first Topic gives you an overview of the Backcountry travel rules and regulations. This will be key for you if you plan on spending any overnights in the backcountry. Travel is pretty much open everywhere, but overnight stays are limited to certain zones and times of year. Make sure you have a good map and can use a compass and you should be alright. Travel can be slow and hard in some parts of the island(less than 1 MPH), and expect wet areas that do not show up on the map. The backcountry is awesome on Isle Royale, it is where I have spent most of my last couple of trips, and would recommend it to anyone that is experienced with a map and compass and wants to truly get away from the crowds. Enjoy.
kjpenka1
NewbieCake

Post by kjpenka1 »

Thanks for all the help. Getting married this summer and have a clinical rotation type thing for school on top of working so will be incredibly busy but I am going to try to do it. What got me onto this idea was my quest for an affordable honeymoon. I had just gotten back from a short trip to the U.P. with my family and I remembered researching Isle Royale a bit as a teenager after listening to a classmates story of his hiking trip, and thinking how cool it would be to go there.

Well my fiance considered it for a bit but I think it is a no go for her. She wants to either take a drive somewhere or skip it and save up money to go somewhere warm. Still wanted to go though so I asked my little bro and he sounds very interested. Will have to carefully budget both my time and money but I may be able to make it. Again, thanks a bunch.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Thanks for the recommendation on the nylon shoes. I was thinking of water socks, but they are so ugly, that I can't even justify them for being in the backcountry. These look a little better, however.