First timer visiting

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

momnson
NewbieCake

First timer visiting

Post by momnson »

My 11 year old son and I (a mom) are going to IR the end of July. We've never backpacked together before. (only car camped) Are we too ambitious or just plain stupid for considering a 5 day trip from Windigo to Daisy Farm? (average hiking 8 miles per day) or are we better suited to go from Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm with a 3-4 mile hike per day? The ferry schedule seems to be modifying our plans. What do other experience people recommend? Also how awful are the mosquitos on either of these treks?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: First timer visiting

Post by Midwest Ed »

You are the only one that can evaluate your son. Kids are so hard to predict. I brought my 11 year old son to IR about 12 years ago. In between all the drama and stress we both had an unforgettably great time. He still talks about it.

But given your experience levels, I would suggest a far less aggressive agenda. You don’t need to cover a lot of ground to enjoy Isle Royale. In fact you will probably get more out of it by slowing down and allowing yourself the time to take it all in. Build in at least one day of layover. Since Windigo and Daisy Farm are potential drop off and pick up points it sounds like you are planning to come from Minnesota. I suggest you consider getting dropped off at MacCargoe Cove and then spend the next 5 days making your way to Chippewa Harbor. There are plenty of campgrounds in that area that are fairly close to one another (unlike the south end). It’s also far enough removed from Rock Harbor that the traffic will lower. The areas campgrounds close proximity to one another would allow for a good deal of flexibility, variation and an extra leisure day. If you end up being full of energy then you could make a side trip to Moskey Basin.

You will be busy enough converting car camping gear to lighter weight backpacking gear. Get the gear early and go on some weekend shakedown runs without the car. Mosquitoes that time of year depends so much on the weather (recent rainfall and temperatures). They will typically not be so bad during the day especially in breezy areas. You might not need them but take a head net. The black flies should all be gone though.

Here is a trip report link from last summer from a couple that brought their 4 kids, ages 15, 11, 8 and 6.
http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1538
You can also search through her earlier posts to see how she prepared for their trek. There's plenty of other good info from lots of great contributors.

Go slow. Take your time. You will have a wonderful time.

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

You and your son should break in some hiking boots well before you get to ISRO. You should also get some experience with hiking with a back pack and what your comfort level of daily distance is. You will want to enjoy your trip to ISRO rather than making it an unpleasant slog. Your break in hiking trips will give you good feedback on what clothing and equipment you absolutely need as opposed to packing everything that you could possibly need.

The Greenstone from Windigo to Island Mine is a long uphill trek through a maple forest. It is not technical and can be done by anyone with reasonable fitness and comfortable boots. Once you are on the ridge the trail is not especially difficult and is similar to most other Northern Michigan hiking trails (and I would suppose Northern WI or Northern MN hiking trails).

The Greenstone seems to be the favored trail of Boy Scout troops crossing the island; if 11 year old Boy Scouts can manage the trail, you and your son can do this.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Hey Mom, I second Ed on the McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor idea, assuming you'll be coming on the Voyageur II out of Grand Portage. Stay the first night at McCargoe and hike up to the mine--there's a neat mine shaft I'm sure your son will enjoy. Then you have some choices between Chickenbone West, Lake Richie, and Moskey Basin on the way to Chippewa.

I've usually gone the end of July and have found the skeeters usually aren't too terrible until the sun goes down--then they chase you into the tent. But bring headnets in any case--best $5 insurance plan you can buy!

It's great that you're going out with your son--my daughters were a few years older the first time they experienced I.R. but they got hooked as teens. My youngest, now 24 will be going on her 4th trip with me this summer--the other wishes she could...
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
momnson
NewbieCake

Post by momnson »

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. My son is a Star scout so we are looking forward to the adventure together. We have all the lightweight gear minus the water treatment system. (need to get that) The consensus seems to be to stay away from ROck Harbor and Daisy Farm. Is that area really that crowded? Nothing there to see?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

momnson wrote:The consensus seems to be to stay away from ROck Harbor and Daisy Farm. Is that area really that crowded? Nothing there to see?
Well, everything is relative :). The shoreline along Rock Harbor (the body of water) is quite scenic. But you will see/hear a few power boats and more people along the way. Daisy Farm is the largest campground with 20 some sites. Rock Harbor has the docks, lodge, store, restaurant, etc. Compared to the rest of civilization, the more tourist crowd considers it "wilderness" (worked the store for a summer). But compared to true wilderness, it's quite civilized, esp. to most backpackers.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

My first trip I did a small loop from RH to Lane Cove (do-able but with a full pack and half a day, maybe not ideal for day one). From there I was going to go to West Chicken Bone, but due to an algae bloom I went to McCargoe Cove instead. From there I went down to Moskey Basin, and the last day I hiked back in to RH. Out of those spots I would say that Lane Cove was nice, and so was McCargoe, but despite the fact that the weather was gorgeous at those two and rainy at Moskey Basin, to me Moskey is the one that sticks out in my mind as it just felt "special". Granted that is a very small sample of the choices on the island but I thought I'd share it.
|| Jess ||