Are groups restricted to *just* campgrounds w/group sites?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

jchuntingt
NewbieCake

Are groups restricted to *just* campgrounds w/group sites?

Post by jchuntingt »

Starting to look like I (we) may make a trip in 2013, the number of people looks like it might be close to being a group (7-10). and I'm trying to figure something out.

I understand the extra requirements of groups in terms of having to outline their route and getting groups campsites reserved, but does this mean groups can *only* use the campgrounds that have group campsites or can the route include campgrounds that don't have group sites?

The reason I ask is that doing a loop through the NE coast is one route we're considering, but it looks like none of the campgrounds on the NE shore have group sites. If you can only use campgrounds with group sites then it seems like is *really* limits your options.

Anyone know the answer?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Are groups restricted to *just* campgrounds w/group site

Post by Tom »

Yes. If a site does not contain a group site location, it cannot be used by a group. Groups are also not permitted to use shelters nor individual sites.
This effectively eliminates, for instance, the Minong as an option, since Little Todd and Desor North do not have group areas.
Groups are also mandated to 'stick to itinerary' as well, rain or shine.

I'll admit it provides significant incentive to only have five other friends... :cry:
jchuntingt
NewbieCake

Post by jchuntingt »

Thanks for the reply, not the answer I wanted, but . . . .

Guess if we end up with more than 6 of us, we'll have to be 2 separate groups (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

The Rangers are wise to breaking up your large group into two smaller individual parties. They will make sure you have two completely independent itineraries such that you are not in the same campground on the same night.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

IncaRoads wrote:The Rangers are wise to breaking up your large group into two smaller individual parties. They will make sure you have two completely independent itineraries such that you are not in the same campground on the same night.
This is true. I think they make a game of catching folks. :evil:
To be honest, it's all for the interest of the park and the other visitors. I can't blame them.
That being said, it's not like seven or eight adults couldn't act perfectly appropriate, often more-so than soloists or pairs. It's all relative, I suppose.
I won't offer any tips as to how to hoodwink the rangers, since, well, I wouldn't have any... But I will say that two groups of four, for instance, could each go off and have marvelous experiences, perhaps meet at a camp mid-stream or at the end, and share with each other what they have seen. Food for thought.