Solo Hiking

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

LSue
NewbieCake

Solo Hiking

Post by LSue »

Hi, I am thinking about doing a solo trip next Summer. Anybody have any thoughts about this to share or suggestions for me. I am a 49 year old woman, in good physical condition, and have a good amount of hiking/kayaking/outdoor experience and little, but some, backpacking experience. This seems like a good idea to me, but would like to hear what others think.

Thanks!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Solo Hiking

Post by johnhens »

Solo hiking on IR is a great place to do so. Most of the people who go there are good people. Nice trails, nice campsites, nice views from the ridges. I have met women in the past solo hiking there and was told it was a good place for it.
I would recomend being very familiar with the equipment you bring in case of gear problems. Do some hikes with the pack you are going to use in hilly terrain so you will know if the pack will be ok. Good footwear is key.
Keep it light!!!

There are many knowledgeable people here who will have good input.
Welcome to the forums and Isle Royale!!!
LSue
NewbieCake

Post by LSue »

Thank you for your feedback. I will take your advice to become familar with my equipment! I believe this forum will be a big help to me as I plan my trip.

Thanks again!
greg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 28

Post by greg »

I also have met a number of women who were solo hiking on IR. The trails are very well marked and, with few exceptions, straight forward to follow. From a safety standpoint, the difficulties involved in getting to Isle Royale make the group of hikers who visit the park one that is very reasonable and focused on being good trail companions. I have only met one person on the island in 28 trips who I walked away from thinking they were rather odd. So, you should feel secure soloing as a woman in this park. I concur that it is important to watch your pack weight, make sure your equipment fits well, and bring solid/comfortable hiking boots so that the trip is enjoyable. I have solo hiked on Isle Royale many times and have always found the experience highly rewarding, reflective, and recharging.
Greg M. Romaneck
LSue
NewbieCake

Post by LSue »

Thanks so much! I am becoming more excited and less apprehensive as I read people's feedback. I have almost a year to try out gear, and after reading your response I have decided to take advantage of that time to work out any bugs and help make the trip more enjoyable.
I appreciate your thoughts!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

5 of my 8 trips to Isle Royale have been solo. I'm almost 20 years older then you and when I decided to do the Minong Trail I made sure I went with an experienced hiker. That trail is one where you are sometimes challenged to find the trail. I believe from personal experience the other trails are well marked/traveled, so you should have no issues (or minimal ones) with getting lost. The other comments made are similar to what I would say. I look forward to hearing your trip report next year.
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

I think the accessibility works nicely as a jerk-filter because you meet the coolest people on IR. I've only done two trips (both solo but that's he norm for me) but I would second the ease of trail following in most places. I can confirm that the Minong was a little tricky to follow here and there in May. Maybe easier to follow as it gets more traffic. I also second the notion of gear-familiarity, in fact I even try and plan a warm up trip in the rain if I have any new gear that involves dryness. I have brought an extra days food both trips and needed it on one. Weather on the lake is a hell of a thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
|| Jess ||
LSue
NewbieCake

Post by LSue »

Thanks for all the good information. It will help me to get prepared. I appreciate the feedback!