Itinerary suggestions:best chance at seeing wolves

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Itinerary suggestions:best chance at seeing wolves

Post by Ingo »

Ditto what Tom said :). I may more strongly suggest the westward day hike out of W. Chickenbone because it gets you up on the ridge with panoramic views (assuming the weather cooperates). I'm pretty sure that's Chickenbone in the background to give you an idea.
ridgeview.jpg
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

VII website: isleroyaleboats.com
This year sept 14 will be the last SCHEDULED pickup for mccargoe or belle isle. After that date u have to schedule an alternate drop-off spot as weather will dictate whether the boat will travel to rock harbor via the north or south shoreline. So u can get dropped at McC on monday sept 9, and be picked up at Chippewa on sunday sept 15.

First half of sept is typically much drier than june. Bugs r much better at summer's end. The drawback to sept is early sunsets, so without a campfire it's time to brush your teeth and head into the tent or shelter. Google the sunset data for grand portage on sept 10 and compare that to june 20. U can get a stretch of lousy weather in june but the days are so long, it cant rain all day. Ive actually had some of my best weather in june, to the point where i had to come up with ways to hide from the sun, but i'm mostly paddling.

I've never heard of anyone dayhiking to daisy farm from moskey basin. It's always the other way around. It's 8 mi roundtrip and only worth it if u have a scheduled rendezvous w/ another party.

Of course if u packed from richie to moskey, it doesnt sound like much fun to retrace your steps; on the other hand, it is a different experience to walk the same trail without a full pack. I would suggest dayhiking back to the portage put-in @ lake lesage-very pretty spot. And your son can cast for pike along richie shoreline. There is some steep rock wall on the NE side of richie(between the richie portage & richie camp); u can sit atop it for lunch w/ nice view. In june u may see a cow & calf on your side of the big island out in front of u, as this is a good refuge spot from wolves. While sitting there snacking, a fox came up from behind me and practically put his snout on top of my R shoulder. I didnt even see or hear him until my partner said something; of course, by then he had backed away 4-6'. All of the moose do their calving within a few days of may 25. What we thought was a big rock out in the water turned out to be a cow moose feeding with her head under water. Then she moved back to the island and we then noticed the calf right along shore with her.

After labor day, there are no consecutive night restrictions for the camp outposts. U could base camp @W. CB and do consecutive day hikes to mt. Siskiwit and the ojibway tower (2 different directions on the greenstone trail). Then u can skip daisy farm altogether, although in lousy weather there is something to be said about daisy's 16 shelters. And if u prefer the tent, there r a couple daisy tentsites right next to an awesome common-use pavilion shelter (open on all sides).

The rules for Crosscountry camping in zones are the same all season. There are many zones that dont open for camping until sept 1. However, even if your better half did not insist on a prenup way back when, i believe MN family law allows either spouse to opt for the execution of a belated prenup agreement, in the event that the other spouse is suggesting off-trail hiking at Isle Royale with a full pack on their first visit to the park. And teenagers can divorce their parents on the same ground; luckily, your son is only 12. :)
nicadimus
NewbieCake

Post by nicadimus »

LOL Bergman!!! To funny!! I honestly don't think my poor husband has any idea what I'm leading him in to...mwuahahaha!!!!

What a GREAT idea to day hike to Mount Siskiwit while camping at West Chicken bone...I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of exhaustion from hiking/hauling packs/ etc...the short hikes from the campsites I listed seem like they wouldn't be tiring, but we might end up pretty beat from our first real backpacking experience.....that's why I'm really liking to have OPTIONS...so if we Hike from one campsite to the next and are kinda looking for more to do, we have the option to day hike and explore if we feel up to it :) So keep the suggestions coming!!!!

Since we will be staying at McCargoe cove the first evening....is the Minong mine really all that awesome to hike up to?? I really would rather the chance at seeing wildlife? Is there a better day hike option for our afternoon at McCargoe Cove?

The second day hike to W.Chickenbone campsite with the option of hiking to Mount Siskiwit seems great...is Mount Siskiwit better vs Mount Ojibway?

Then we were to bypass the Lake Richie to head to Moskey Basin...and spend two nights there...I LOVE your idea of dayhiking to Lake Richie and the spot you described sounds beautiful...but we were planning on spending the next night after Moskey at Lake Richie camp site...so wouldn't make sense to day hike there :( I understand what you are saying about Daisy farm, is there anywhere else along Moskey to explore while we are there for two days? I've kinda thrown the backcountry camping out of my mind...for the sake of my travlers anyway ;) But I wouldn't mind a backcountry hike...would it be a bad idea to follow that stream on the south side of Moskey?

Then we were going to head back to Lake Richie to camp..where it will be fun to check out the areas you described!!! Is it POSSIBLE to access the Lake Richie canoe spot by foot? Following the shoreline? It just seems like it would be more secluded and awesome?

Then heading down to Chippewa harbor!!! The last night I was debating on trying to access the camp site at Lake Whittlesey....but is that not possible by foot? Maybe we will just day hike over there? Looks like you could maybe follow the shoreline and take the portage?

Also...what time would we be picked up on Sunday by the Voyageur? Where does it describe drop off pick up times?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

nicadimus wrote:Then heading down to Chippewa harbor!!! The last night I was debating on trying to access the camp site at Lake Whittlesey....but is that not possible by foot? Maybe we will just day hike over there? Looks like you could maybe follow the shoreline and take the portage?

Also...what time would we be picked up on Sunday by the Voyageur? Where does it describe drop off pick up times?
Can't imagine bushwacking to Whittlesey and back in an afternoon/evening. Certainly not in the a.m. to catch the VII at Chippewa. I'm sure it's "possible" to hike there, but there's not much off-trail on I.R. that isn't pretty tough (think fir jungle). And the potential for getting lost, injured, etc. Exploring the Superior shoreline at C.H. would be much more rewarding I'm sure. Lake Mason is also known as a good moose hangout.

The Voyageur II site that Bergman listed has the approx. times (9 CDT for Chippewa), but make sure you're ready early and don't panic if they're late--things happen, but forgetting you is not one of them :). In the unlikely event the boat can't make the trip that day because of weather a ranger will try and let you know (if they can get there). But do stay at the campground ready to go. And bringing an extra day of food is prudent anytime you're getting picked up somewhere that there isn't a store.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

nicadimus wrote:Also...what time would we be picked up on Sunday by the Voyageur? Where does it describe drop off pick up times?
Link to the Voyageur II 2013 schedule....
http://www.isleroyaleboats.com/schedule.asp
nicadimus wrote:Is it POSSIBLE to access the Lake Richie canoe spot by foot? Following the shoreline? It just seems like it would be more secluded and awesome?
To quote the park annual newspaper, the 2012 Greenstone, "Off-trail hiking and camping is difficult at Isle Royale, and is only recommended for experienced campers." I highly recommend that you be well versed in backcountry navigation with map/compass/gps before venturing too far off the trail.

I concur with what Tom elaborated on previously, especially for a first time backpacker....
Tom wrote:I'll urge strong caution against backcountry travel. It's not a walk in the woods, and many places will put you at <1 mph speeds, with difficult navigation. It's a swampy, rocky, tree fallen place. The regular trails on IR could be considered tough enough for many, and no need to make it any harder!
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

nicadimus, When at McCargoe definitely go to the Minong mine. Its an interesting place, with evidence of what hard work was done by the miners over a hundred years ago.
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

I've never been to Mt. Siskiwit but it looks like a moderate dayhike from W.CB, even though u will be climbing approx 53 stories to get there. From the map it looks like u have to scamper a bit off the ridge trail to "summit" Siskiwit, and perhaps others can comment whether the view is open in all directions, as there is no tower to climb. I think it would be neat to look down on and across Siskiwit Lake, as well as Superior to both sides.

The Ojibway tower would be a 15 mi roundtrip, really too long for a dayhike, even with a light dayback- at least that's what i figure. Just as important, there is no access to drinking water for nearly the entire route along the greenstone ridge, so u'd have to carry a ton of water.

Unless u are a glutton for punishment and by that i mean physical pain, Richie Canoe & Whittlesey require a canoe, kayak or jetpack (NPS frowns on the latter). There are easier and better ways to achieve isolation on your route, such as:

Leaving the Lake Richie Trail and heading toward Chippewa H. on the indian portage trail, u will notice that the "indian trail" is laid out away from Richie, providing lots of opportunities to bushwack into the lake shoreline. Towards the end of the first mile, u will cross a stream. Dont try to hike in using the stream as your path-it will likely be overgrown and impassable. Instead, hike 50-75 yards or more beyond the stream, and THEN leave the trail to bushwack to the lake, heading due west using your compass. (Its a good idea to bring a backup compass, in case u lose or break one; even a cheapie compass is invaluable at isle royale). That shoreline and the south "arm" of Richie get the lightest fishing pressure (Richie is very popular for northern pike fishing and has produced large specimens over the years). Buy your son a 4-piece fishing pole for $22-28. (2-piece rod will get hung up while backpacking, and there's no greater disaapointment than to be in the park and your fishing gear is kaput).

Once u are at the shoreline, u can mosey right or left along the shore and explore/fish. To return u dont have to retrace your steps, but instead be sure to head due east to get back to the trail; otherwise, u can end up going a long way without hitting the trail. If u head due east, might u end up with a longer overall trek back to the trail? Yes, but dont risk it, as its no big deal to have to walk an extra 1/4-1/2 mile on the park trail compared to bushwacking that extra distance. Uncertainty can lead to confusion, which can lead to panic, which will likely result in poor decision-making ... .

U cannot get to whittlesey on foot without fording a pretty deep stream, at least navel deep if not deeper, but that would be one of the slightest obstacles involved. Not sure what map u are using to pose these various options in planning your trip, but either it does not have sufficient detail, or u just dont have a genuine appreciation/ understanding for hiking off-trail on the island, which is understandable, given u havent been there yet.

I believe that the moose would prefer not to "run into" us on the island. The fact that they nevertheless routinely travel on the park trails is perhaps the best testament to the formidable challenge posed by off-trail travel. When u do see one, be sure to ask him/her how easy it is to find a flat spot to lay down or to set up even a pup-tent for cross-country camping! You will know what i'm talking about when u see the individual tent sites at Richie, which were identified/cleared with some forethought and planning (presumably).

It's not a bad thing to "push the envelope" in formulating your trip plans, as u r generating a good discussion about what is realistic and also safe. There are no medical facilities in the park, and backpackers are on their own, for the most part. Help can be a ways off, even when u are staying at an outpost, so keep safety at the forefront of your planning. Hypothermia is one of the biggest concerns while in the park. Lake Superior is more like a sea, in that it is capable of producing its own weather, and a rainstorm can drop buckets on you with the wind forcing the rain sideways-u then either wish 1 of 2 things: 1) u were home; or 2) u were a turtle. The island has incredible rewards, but there are significant identifiable risks as well. Don't underestimate them. Of course, I have to say the rewards are well worth it. :)
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

nicadimus,

Join IRKPA(used to be $25?) at the website pointed out by Tampico; you may then purchase, as a set, the National Geographic map and the guide book "Isle Royale National Park - Foot Trails and Water Routes" by Jim DuFresne. You receive 10% discount, as a IRKPA member, for all your purchases on their site, and at the park in the ranger stations gift shops, for books, posters, maps, souveniers, etc. Your association membership has other perks, also. So give their site a look.

The map and guide book will give you a great first resource for many of those questions you have posted on this site. :idea:

When you read the descriptions that Jim gives in the book, for the sections you plan to hike, and look at the elevation changes for the same section on the map, you get a good feel for the adventure you are about to partake. I promise, these resources, are well worth the investment, and will greatly enhance you itinerary planning.

By the way, your itinerary plan of, drop off at McCargo and pick-up at Chippewa Harbor, should keep you in the current "Chippewa Harbor pack zone". :D

Also, google: Isle Royale Wolf/Moose study Here you can obtain the "latest" on the critters on Isle Royale.

Good luck in your planning.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne