Need advice on a 4-5 day trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

nebelwerfer41
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Need advice on a 4-5 day trip

Post by nebelwerfer41 »

Hey everyone, I'm just starting to do some research on a trip my wife and I will be taking in early September. We're travelling from Indiana, so the most we can spend on the island is 4-5 days. We were thinking of doing a loop of the island, but that will probably be too long of a trek (90 miles for a loop, correct?). Even a cross-island trip sounds a bit daunting.

Any suggestions on the best way to spend 5 days hiking the island? I think we'd like to either start or end our trip at the lodge in Rock Harbor. If we can arrange a loop trip, that would be ideal since I don't like the idea of paying for a cab from Houghton to Copper Harbor. We'd like to get a good cross-section of the island, so if a length-wise trip isn't in the cards, if we could at least see the north and south sides of the island, that would be good.
nebelwerfer41
NewbieCake

Re: Need advice on a 4-5 day trip

Post by nebelwerfer41 »

Ok, disregard most of my post. I think it would be a good idea to tackle the Greenstone Ridge trail. Any suggestions for the logistics of travel? Is it best to leave our car in Houghton or Copper Harbor?

Any other news for a first-time trip to the island and walking the Greenstone Ridge? Is a trip around Labor Day a good time of year given the weather/bugs?
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

After Labor day, most everything, as far as amenities, is shutting down.
If you make plans, say, the last two weeks in Aug., you have many more options.

I have never stayed with Forever Resorts, so you might first check with them, as to their closing dates.

Sept/Oct there is reduced/limited access to the Isle, as far as the ferry/plane schedules go.

4-5 days for first timers to traverse the Greenstone(RH to Windigo), is doable, but pretty ambitious.
But, RH to Windigo to RH, in 5 days is a forced march(for most). Are you used to hiking 20 mile days for five days in a row?

I don't quite understand your question regarding paying for a cab.
Most persons book their ferry ride round-trip. The two ferries below drop-off/pick-up at RH and return to their respective ports.
If you leave from Copper Harbor(taking the Queen IV), you would leave your car in their lot for $4/day-$20 max.
If you leave from Houghton(taking the Ranger III), you leave your car in the NPS lot; I don't think there is a charge.

Since you are here at the forum, look through all the threads, most of your questions have probably been discussed in one form or another.
The good thing is you found this forum, and you have a lot of time, to learn about, and plan your outing. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
nebelwerfer41
NewbieCake

Post by nebelwerfer41 »

My question about a cab is that we probably won't be able to do a round trip of the island (as you mentioned, that is like 20 miles a day, not my idea of a good time). We'll need to land at Wendigo and hike to Rock Harbor (or vice versa). I was working under the understanding that the different lines have their own harbors on the mainland.

If we go right before or after Labor Day, it looks like the ferries are still running, but the schedules are a little different for the Queen IV.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

If you check the schedule for the float plane, you can be dropped off at Windigo, hike to RH, and fly out from RH. Or catch a ferry from RH and float back.
You would just have to use the Ranger III to get back to Houghton, where you would taxi from NPS back to the airport to get your car.
The only difficulties with the plane, is fuel(can't be flown); the store on the Isle may be closed or out of fuel at that time of the season.

As always, that late in the season, weather(the Lady) can/does alter best laid plans.

With prior scheduling/arrangements, you may ferry to RH, catch a ferry to Windigo, walk back to RH, and catch your ferry back to where you initially departed on the mainland.
The late season schedules are, like every other day, or out to RH one day return the next day. They all vary a little. And this season the Ranger is shutting down early for repairs.

Keep asking questions and doing some research on the various schedules etc.
Just realize, during that time of year, most of what is available, is primitive camping.
After Forever Resorts closes down their operations, you have to bring what you need.

One final thing, is that after Labor day, I believe you can stay at RH for more than one night.
One can spend 4-5 days in RH area, do several day hikes, and see the majority of "must see" spots on the east end of the Isle.
You don't have to(do everything) walk end-to-end. For a first trip, "stop and eat the Mulberries", get a feel for the Isle.
You'll want to return for more, and you'll have a better understanding of what is out there.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

The park is shutting down about 2 wks early (normally Halloween) because the Ranger will have scheduled maintenance. The Ranger's normal passenger season will not be affected this 2013. It usually ends 2 saturdays beyond Labor Day. Before and after the regular passenger season, the Ranger runs park staff and freight (park supplies) out to the island once a week. The Fall freight season will be cut short by 2 weeks.

I visit the park multiple times each season. One of those times is always the first or second week of september. Bugs are way down; weather is great (ideal for backpacking, though I am paddling); numbers are down; consecutive night camping restrictions N/A after Labor Day. However, even in early sept the queen and the ranger can be delayed a day going out to the park. Realize also that your inbound (coming back) can likewise be delayed by a day.

Ranger III - Friday of Labor Day weekend with return on wednesday is a popular trip. I would so recommend. If u can go the friday after labor day, for hiking that is even better, as u will have the park to yourself (relatively speaking).

If you want better info, u must provide some obvious (to us) info such as the # persons in your party. Es tut mir leid. I see that your post states a party of 2. Guess its past my bedtime...

If $ is no obstacle, i would arrange for a boat taxi at 3:30/3:40 pm out of rock harbor, to drop u at chippewa harbor. Night2 stay at hatchet lake. Night 3@todd harbor. Night 4@moskey basin. (or at West Chickenbone, if the body and/or feet are getting sore at that point, as u can take the greenstone trail from WCB Camp almost all the way to 3mile). Night 5@three mile camp or rock harbor campground. That is the sweetest 5 night itinerary (on the island's east half) I can think of. This season i will be celebrating my 30th trip to IR. :-)

Einsundfierzig. Guess you are immune to the effects of Lake Superior fog. Hope2CUout there, eh?
nebelwerfer41
NewbieCake

Post by nebelwerfer41 »

Thanks for the replies. Danke sehr! It helps me to formulate thoughts when I start writing/talking.

I did some crunching last night and figured we can get some more time on the island if we butt it up against Labor Day. Cost is a factor, so I don't think a personal float plane service is in the cards. Here is the working plan so far:

Labor Day night (Monday) - Arrive in Houghton, crash
Tuesday morning - Take Ranger to Rock Harbor
Tuesday afternoon - day hike to somewhere neat on east side of the island (stay at resort to stash our heavy packs)
Wednesday - start trek across Greenstone Trail to Wendigo
Sunday evening - Arrive in Wendigo (Five days should be plenty of time to get across the island)
Monday afternoon - Ride the Queen back to Copper Harbor, Catch a taxi/shuttle back to Houghton

I checked the schedules online and I'll confirm via phone as the dates draw nearer. Any glaring problems with this plan so far?
nebelwerfer41
NewbieCake

Post by nebelwerfer41 »

Ok, I think I just noticed my error. Both the Queen and Ranger dock at Rock Harbor! Looks like I'll have to tweak things so that we can take the Voyageur II.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

And you caught it while I was writing!

The glaring problem is getting from Windigo back to Rock Harbor, because the Queen IV and Ranger III only go to and from Rock Harbor. The only "public" transportation between the two ends of the island is the Voyageur II, which circumnavigates the island 3 days a week (or the sea plane). So you have to take the Voyageur II from Windigo back to R.H. on a Mon., Weds., or Sat., then take the Queen or Ranger back to MI the next day. Note the Voyageur schedule is reduced starting 9/18 if your dates get pushed back. See http://www.isleroyaleboats.com for the Voyageur II info.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

If money is a consideration, why stay at the resort to "stash our packs"?
Get a shelter, stash them there; no one will mess with your camp if you have it for the night/(several nights after LD).

I think by the above posts, that you now understand that the Ranger and Queen only dock in RH. :idea:

So, the Voyager needs to be taken, once on the Isle, to either Windigo and walk back to RH(to return to mainland via
Ranger or Queen), or walk to Windigo from RH and get on the Voyager when it does the north shore portion to RH(to then return to the mainland).
The Voyager is again, some considerable cost, besides your initial round trip to the Isle.

Hence, my previous post(hang out in RH area) about the no limit stay after LD at the campgrounds.
You can just hang out in RH, do day trips, or hike to other close camps(3mi, DF, MB) and check them out for a night or two, etc.
"Stop and eat the mulberries".

I'm not sure if you have checked the NPS site for info. http://www.nps.gov/isro/index.htm You should, there is plenty there to inform.

This site is a good place to get your map and trail book. http://irkpa.org/ Join the organization for the discount.

Keep planning. :)

P.S. I have always departed from Copper Harbor to the Isle, via the Queen; she gets you there earlier than the Ranger, out of Houghton.
There is a state park, in CH, if you don't want the expense of a room, prior to, or after the ferry.
Jim DuFresne
nebelwerfer41
NewbieCake

Post by nebelwerfer41 »

By "stay at the lodge" I meant get one of the little $50 per night cabins for the first night to get an early start the next morning. (I hate tearing down my camp!)

Has anyone had any problems leaving gear in a shelter? I'm a little leery of leaving our collection of gear lying around. I know backpackers are a little more respectful than most, but...

I think we've decided to do as you originally suggested and just hang around on the east side of the island. I've been to the NPS site and picked up a map already, so we just need to start mapping our routes.
Any suggestions about the "best" trails to hike for scenery on the east side?

Thanks for the tip about the state park in Copper Harbor.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I'm not sure about the "best" trails, but my son and I made our first trip to ISRO last spring and stayed on the east end. My trip report is here http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1847
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

nebelwerfer41 wrote:By "stay at the lodge" I meant get one of the little $50 per night cabins for the first night to get an early start the next morning.
Those cabins are only in Windigo, not Rock Harbor. The campground (presumably in a shelter that time of year) or the lodge at $200-250 ish a night are the only options in Rock Harbor.
Has anyone had any problems leaving gear in a shelter? I'm a little leery of leaving our collection of gear lying around. I know backpackers are a little more respectful than most, but...
Only recall a couple reports of gear ever walking away over the years. The fox are a bigger problem than people, so don't leave anything laying around outside the shelter. Fox have taken boots--cookware is a favorite.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
nebelwerfer41
NewbieCake

Post by nebelwerfer41 »

Ingo wrote:
nebelwerfer41 wrote:By "stay at the lodge" I meant get one of the little $50 per night cabins for the first night to get an early start the next morning.
Those cabins are only in Windigo, not Rock Harbor. The campground (presumably in a shelter that time of year) or the lodge at $200-250 ish a night are the only options in Rock Harbor.
This forum is so very helpful! The Missus will have to settle for a shelter, then!
Nym90
NewbieCake

Post by Nym90 »

I have made two trips to the Isle, both 4-5 day loops from Rock Harbor. Either of these itineraries would, I believe, make for a great introduction to the island and allow you to see most of the best that the east end has to offer.

Trip 1:

Tuesday: Ranger from Houghton to Rock Harbor, day hike to Scoville Pt.

Wednesday: Rock Harbor to Lane Cove

Thursday: Lane Cove to Daisy Farm. If you are still feeling energetic, you could then day hike to Moskey Basin.

Friday: Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor

Saturday: Ranger from Rock Harbor to Houghton

With this itinerary you are never backpacking more than 7 miles in one day, so you have plenty of time to take it easy. Thursday would be nearly 15 miles of total hiking if you include the day hike to Moskey Basin and would make for a long day, but at least only 7 of if are with packs. Moskey Basin is a beautiful spot and worth taking the time to see if you are feeling up to it. If the Friday weather forecast looks better than the Wednesday forecast, you could reverse the direction of the loop and go clockwise instead of counterclockwise.

Trip 2:

Tuesday: Isle Royale Queen from Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor, hike Rock Harbor to Three Mile

Wednesday: Three Mile to Moskey Basin

Thursday: Moskey Basin to West Chickenbone, day hike to McCargoe Cove

Friday: West Chickenbone to Three Mile

Saturday: Three Mile to Rock Harbor and Isle Royale Queen from Rock Harbor to Copper Harbor. You could add a dayhike to Scoville Pt. while you are waiting for the Queen if you are feeling energetic enough.

This is a bit more ambitious, and requires a long day of backpacking from West Chickenbone to Three Mile on Friday. However, you get to see even more of the east half, including McCargoe Cove which is a fantastic spot, as well as getting to spend a night at Moskey and see a legendary Moskey sunrise the following morning. Again, if the Friday weather forecast looks better than Wednesday's, you could reverse the direction of the loop, though going uphill from Three Mile to West Chickenbone would be even more difficult than going downhill in the direction of the above itinerary.