CAMP FIRES: looking for a definitive answer

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Re: CAMP FIRES: looking for a definitive answer

Post by drobarge »

There are fire rings at the 2 Chippewa tent sites I am 100% sure.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

There are fire rings at the 2 Chippewa tent sites I am 100% sure.
Correct. I went back and checked photos I took at Chippewa, and the tent sites have picnic tables and small rings. (It all does start to blend together, though!)

Also, technically, Rock Harbor has post grills - Right along the docks... So not truly at camp, but they can be used. I recall talking with a gent (boater) who was remarking about his good find of a pile of sticks... Turns out, (perhaps a little Isle Royale faux pas :oops: ) he had found the 'collection' of walking sticks that hikers tend to leave at each end of the Island, and where incoming hikers will often make a selection from their own journey. (The whole take a stick/leave a stick tradition, like the water crossings on the Minong.)
We, umm, informed him that while technically fair game, he might wish to refrain from using that as a source in the future, to remain in the good graces of hikers..
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Thanks drobarge, a mind is a terrible thing to lose :) Also, as Tom said, it does start blending together sometimes.

Also in Rock Harbor, there is a community fire area down by the docks. I understand they have fires down there during the "peak" season. We have had a fire there with wood that was stacked there in September after asking a ranger if it was alright.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"