CAMPFIRES IN DESIGNATED RINGS/STANDS ONLY.

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

CAMPFIRES IN DESIGNATED RINGS/STANDS ONLY.

Post by Tom »

To forum readers: A kind reminder that campfires are only to be lit in designated rings or fire stands. They are metal, and quite obvious. There are many reasons for this rule, and above all, it's for the safety of everyone.

An open letter to the individual(s) who stayed at Lake Ritchie Canoe Site just prior to Sunday, 9 June 2013:
You do not deserve to come to Isle Royale. Not only did you violate the campfire policy, which you agreed to by signing your name on your camp permit, but you also grossly violated the LNT policy of only using wood smaller than your wrist, so that it burns completely through. Perhaps you feel fully justified in that "it was just one night" and you are assured that "you completely extinguished your fire" but when my brother-in-law and I arrived at the campsite on Sunday around 12:30pm CDT, ready to enjoy the remainder of our day, we were welcomed with this:
The campfire site
The campfire site
Nice job using the wood you picked up from the trail crew clearings, by the way. Thanks for the charred mess.
More critically, however, my brother-in-law fortunately caught little puffs of white smoke out of the corner of his eye, just NE about 10-15 yards from your fire, toward the eastern point of the site. That's where we found this:
The ignition point
The ignition point
You probably didn't even know it was there. We used the water from our drinking bottles to extinguish the edges, and the smoking stopped, and the small, burned area seemed safe. We established our camp (perhaps the same one you used, it's beautiful, right there near the point, isn't it?) and started to prepare our lunch.
We were naive and I'll concede I'm not a professional firefighter, but we were alerted to something amiss about one hour later, when we heard what can best be described as the loud crackling of a chip bag. Except it wasn't that benign. Looking toward the point, perhaps 30-40 yards from camp, we saw flames six feet in the air. With a stiff 10-15 mph wind out of due East, the fire had reignited, enflaming the junipers that (did) cover the point, and it was blowing directly toward us, fast.
Congratulations. For the first time in over 25 combined trips that include seeing a wolf and being within an arm's length of a moose, you had us scared to be on Isle Royale. As adrenaline set in and we needed to quickly assess the situation, we didn't feel we would be able to break camp and escape with our gear, so we elected to take the one large water container we had, our gravity filter bag, and we'd attempt to extinguish the result your 'little' indiscretion. We shouted for help in case anyone else was in camp, and then ran toward the fire. We got lucky. Very lucky. After approximately 30 refills out of the lake, we felt the situation was in better control. Without the water filter bag, we would have most certainly lost the majority of our camping equipment. By the time it was extinguished, 'only' an area approximately 6'x 8' was consumed. Here's a picture of your handiwork:
The result
The result
Do you remember that camp you enjoyed? We do. We spent the remainder of our day, checking the fire site every 30 minutes, just in case. Not until rain started to fall that night did we feel more comfortable going to bed. More importantly, do you recall how the eastern point changes from the junipers, into the larger spruce, pine, and cedars, eventually into birch, all continuous? Exactly what do you think that campsite would look like had we not serendipitously been there? We have no doubt it would have been consumed in fire. It probably would have been closed for the year, maybe longer, maybe forever. It would have ever been changed. All because you felt a rule didn't apply to you.

We're not looking for your apology; we're also not looking for any adulation from others. We just did what had to be done. The NPS is quite aware of the situation, and we've provided them all the information we have. Perhaps they'll be in touch with you; perhaps you'll be honest with them, perhaps you won't.
Maybe.. Just maybe, you'll think twice before lighting your next illicit fire, realizing actions have consequences. If so, we offer our thanks.
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Re: CAMPFIRES IN DESIGNATED RINGS/STANDS ONLY.

Post by srparr »

Thank you Tom. I first visited LRC last year, and can picture the spot you describe exactly. We've found remains of other illicit fires in the past at different camps, but never had to go thru what you experienced. I'm glad you were there to intervene.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Definitely a big, THANK YOU, Tom and brother.

Nice save; you earned your wild firefighter designations now!

I hope those responsible are brought to light, and banned from wilderness areas.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Wow, good thing you guys came in after. That site does not get a lot of use and it could have been a major catastrophe!

Once again, the few ruin it for the many :(
The very reason why fires are not allowed at every campground. Also, using large pieces of wood that remain for years as charred logs is the reason why they talk about pulling fire rings out of backcountry campgrounds. We have all seen them.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
darksideofoz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by darksideofoz »

I am thoroughly disgusted.

I am also in awe & thankful that Tom was there & was able to handle the situation.
1 Isle Royale trip: July 2nd-6th 2010
RH>Caribou
Caribou>Daisy Farm Trail>Conglomerate Bay back country camping
Conglomerate Bay>Tookers
Tookers>Merritt Lane
Merritt Lane>Rasberry Island>RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Thanks for doing the responsible thing after others wouldn't.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I couldn't believe this story when I read it. It seriously seemed surreal. We are incredibly fortunate you stayed at Lake Richie. I hope the NPS drops the hammer on these fools.

As for you and your brother-in-law's selfless act, there won't be any reward for you other than knowing that other campers for generations will thank you (even in passing & without their knowledge) for maintaining the pristine wilderness that is Isle Royale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Thanks for the heroic efforts, as quickly as it started to spread, could have been a big fire.
As others have said, I hope the NPS nails the idiots who had to have a fire.
mike
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by mike »

Great work Tom. Your efforts will be remembered by all. I once almost got into a fight with a friend on IR in zone 37 over not being able to have a fire. He thinks that without a fire, camping is boring-I completely disagree with that. I discussed it with him before we went, and he was fine then, but when we were on the island, he had differnt ideas. I had to tell him over and over agian that we cannot have a fire here. I must have given him 100 reasons why we couldn't. He did not like me telling him that and he would continue to tell me nothing would happen, that he was very careful with fires, etc.... Well, after along time going back and forth he finally went to bed and I had a drink. But these photos are true evidence that no fire should be made in undesignated areas. Even disignated areas everyone needs to be carefull and follow the guidlines for what size wood can be used. Plus it was a blatent disregard for the LTN rules which they signed for on their permit. I never wish bad things on people, but these folks who had the fire need to be taught a good lesson and should be VERY THANKFUL you and your brother showed up on that day. Everyone enjoy your trips this year. I was up in May, the wettest I have ever seen the island. Happy Trails.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

The NPS should use these photos and story as part of the LNT talk. The fact that the larger fire was an hr later is particularly relevant. Another big THANK YOU Tom and BIL!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Holy cow, this fire had to happen exactly after the 4th. We were at lake richie at site 3 as was a couple canoeing and staying on the island. The only people heading north when we hit chippewa were a group of about 6 college age men and a husband and wife couple. Believe you and me if this would have happened when I was there they would have been sorry. I am a fire fighter and besides the damage to a natural place, breaking the rules and ruining a beautiful spot, I woul dhave probably come unglued on them.
sgatz
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by sgatz »

Here is what it looks like as of 7/26/13.

Looks like someone put some live branches over it.

LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

zims wrote:I would have probably come unglued on them.
Same here.
I wish I knew how to help people learn instead of feeling like I should lecture them.
As others have, thank you Tom. Lake Ritchie is beautiful.