Great Northern Loons on Chickenbone

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

Rob Miller
NewbieCake

Great Northern Loons on Chickenbone

Post by Rob Miller »

Hi everyone!

What's the status of chick rearing for the Great Northern Loons on Chickenbone? Are the loons on the nest, and have chicks started to hatch yet?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Great Northern Loons on Chickenbone

Post by Tom »

The first major ferry trip (Voyageur II) just went out this Saturday, and the first boat of hikers won't return until Thursday, so we may not hear anything for a little while. In general, there have been nesting loons on Chickenbone, typically on the North side by the outlet. Most often they nest and lay eggs in the next couple weeks, and will be on nest through mid-late June. We typically won't see chicks until then. It is fun to watch them ride on the backs of their parents.
It's possible that the NPS may place the boating/portage restriction on Chickenbone independent of confirming an active nest, just because of past history of having a mating pair located there. As you may know, loons are very skittish on the nest and shouldn't be disturbed.
eddy_line
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by eddy_line »

Tom: Just happened on this posting, and was wondering whether you have an update on the nesting loons and/or the portage restriction. We hit that 1.2 mile portage from McCargo to Chickenbone in 2011 with kayaks and gear, and I'd like to know that the exercise was for a good cause.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I only made it out once this season, and it was in May before the loons were on the nest. My travels also didn't take me past that area; perhaps another forum member went through there and can share?
I'm hopefully that they indeed returned; it seems that it's been closed several times I've been through that part of the Isle...
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

No to bring life to an old thread, but when the Chickenbone Portage was closed in the past, how long did it remain closed for? Two months due to the nest being there? Also I may be using it in August, by this point I should be fine right? Loons don't ever nest that late in the season right?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
TofteTom
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by TofteTom »

A note about my trip last week... When I was at Windigo, they put up a buoy, and closed the entrance to Washington Creek to ALL boat traffic, paddlers too. There is a nest, with eggs on a little bog island right at the entrance. They were close when I was there... That is all.