Finally!

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Finally!

Post by drobarge »

Life has been in the way this season, I did not see the Island this spring. Now, after alot of hard work I get to head back up on the 26th of July for around two weeks sigh... We will have two boats available the first week for and I will spend some time fishing, snorkeling , playin' poker and telling lies. The second week will be spent sailing around and lazing around with a couple overnight hikes. After that it's sailing north to Canada for a bit! I regret not getting to the Island sooner this season but it's on now!
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Finally!

Post by NancyT »

Woo Hoo!!! That's great. I missed one trip to the island and felt so empty. I'm glad you are finally able to go. It's a nice way to regroup and cope with every day life. I don't know what I'd do without the island!!!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

LIKE! :D
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I'm hooky and I approve of your message! :D

Sounds like a blast.
drobarge
Bushwacker

Post by drobarge »

Has anyone been to Belle Isle Recently and can you confirm if there is a Ranger or Volunteer staying there? I'm sure one at least stops by perodicaly ... but are they accually living there?

Thanks...
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

The former Belle Isle Campground Host has been promoted to North Shore Volunteer, since there is no ranger on the North Shore this year. It is the same fellow who has (with his wife) been there for the past few years and yes, he is still staying at Belle Isle.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Is there a house that this person stays in or does he shack up in a shelter? Are there any other Campground Hosts anywhere else? This is new to me, never knew such a thing existed anywhere. What job duties/responsibilities does being a campground host consist of? Should I expect him to be in the pit toilet ready to hand me some paper towels after I am done doing my business in the same manner a bathroom attendant at a fancy restaurant does? If so, what is a proper figure to tip him for the courtesy? I just want to know what I'm getting into here. Really though, can someone elaborate further on the position?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
drobarge
Bushwacker

Post by drobarge »

Shove off tomorrow!
drobarge
Bushwacker

Post by drobarge »

No Tim... there is only room for one in the pit toilet, they're pretty small. He does give a nice foot massage though, but you have to ask he won't offer it.
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

Have a safe trip Drobarge!!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Ha Ha Ha Dro...."you have to ask him, he won't offer it"....Ha Ha Ha Hope you had a great trip. Im leaving in three days. Getting excited ;) Cant wait to see you photos and to read your trip report when you get back. You always have some of the best pics and videos to compliment your narrations.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
drobarge
Bushwacker

Post by drobarge »

Arrived back home today after 3 weeks sailing on the lake with 9 days on the Island. Hiked the Feltman trail from Windego to Siskiwit & from Chippewa to Moskey. Also visited Windego, Wright island, Malone, Threemile, Tookers, Rock, Crystal Cove, Belle, Isle & Mcargoe before heading to Grand Portage, Grand Marais, Rocky Island (apostles), Bayfield, Madeline Island, Black River St. Park, Ontanogan, & Houghton. Tired......so very tired. Unfortunately my phone gave up the goose in Bayfield so all pics are gone! I'll try to get links to two others pics who were along on the trip.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Welcome back Dro. Sounds like a great trip!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
YoungDan
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by YoungDan »

As to the qualifications of the North Shore volunteer, I know this guy and a bit about his background and experience:
-Bachelors degree in earth science and geography
-Masters in Recreation & Park Administration
-Secondary teaching certificate
-Has paddled or sailed all of the north shore of Lake Superior
-30 + years guiding canoe and kayak trips
-First trip to ISRO was in 1974; paddled an open canoe from Grand Portage, around the island, and back
-Also works as a volunteer in the Everglades from January through March each winter
-Motto: WWSD (What would Seth do?). Seth is the Rock Harbor Ranger

Can't speak for the foot massages; don't know him that well!!