Southwest MI back country camping

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Southwest MI back country camping

Post by MattC »

Hello,
My wife and I are making our 1st trip to IR this August. We currently live in Chicago and are looking for a place to do a shakedown or all our new gear before heading up. Does anyone know of a place in SW MI to back country camp? All I could find was "glamping" places. Because nothing says camping like a $200k Prevost with Xbox. :roll:
To avoid this is was thinking maybe I could camp on State land but haven't seen anything on DNR website.
Any tips and/or info is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Mattchigan
treeplanter
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Re: Southwest MI back country camping

Post by treeplanter »

There’s not much state land in the SW part of the state. Michigan has a huge state forest system (about 4 million acres) but you'll find that north of Big Rapids. Back country camping is free on state forest land, all you need is a camp permit which is available at any DNR office.

But as to your question, you might try Yankee Springs Recreation Area about the 10 miles east of Allegan (about 5,000 acres) or the Ionia State Recreation Area east of Grand Rapids (about 4,000 acres). Both have trails and campgrounds and may also allow back country camping. Check out the DNR website for more info, or call the Yankee Spring or Ionia offices.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

You could try the Allegan State Game area near Allegan, MI -- there is camping there and you might be able to get a permit for dispersed camping. The phone number is 269-673-2430. Stealth camping might be an option...

The North Country Trail goes through west Michigan. However, until you get north of Grand Rapids, I do not know if there is dispersed camping. Stealth camping might be an option....

If your schedule allows for a trip north of Grand Rapids, you will get into the Huron Manistee National Forest, which does have dispersed camping and some designated wilderness areas. I did a rehearsal trip in the HMNF along the Manistee River before my first trip to ISRO a few years back and was able to disperse camp and do hiking in terrain that is a bit similar to ISRO.

Keep in mind that the campgrounds at ISRO are laid out where there is a more or less flat area or two for a tent and have an outhouse nearby. LNT is a BIG deal on ISRO and the campgrounds are very clean. In many popular trails and campgrounds in Michigan LNT is ignored.
MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by MattC »

Thank you for all the information.
I think we will settle on Yankee Springs as they have rustic camping sites and my brother lives in Kzoo who will be joining us. Looks to be a pretty decent place and relatively close to home.
I have our IR itinerary near completed and will be posting it to see if at any time we are being too ambitious in our adventure.
Looking forward to more input fom you guys.
Thanks again.
gwpruitt
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by gwpruitt »

You can also try Ely Lake
http://www.allegancounty.org/Government ... government

73 Primitive Sites