Bug Update?

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

spencermjc
NewbieCake

Bug Update?

Post by spencermjc »

I'm staying on the east end August 14th - 18th - has anyone been on the island recently with a bug update?
JeffG
NewbieCake

Re: Bug Update?

Post by JeffG »

We were on the east half Sunday to Thursday and there were no black flies. Mosquito's weren't bad except some low lying areas around Lane Cove. Even then they weren't to the point of putting on a head net. Have fun!
spencermjc
NewbieCake

Post by spencermjc »

Thanks for the good news. I realize things can change quickly, but it sounds promising. The fact that you didn't encounter black flies is promising!!!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Mosquitoes are still alive inland. No concerns at Huginnin Cove or anywhere there is a nice breeze.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
jjurhs
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by jjurhs »

WAS JUST ON THE ISLAND THE 9TH TO THE 15TH OF AUG. THERE ARE MORE BUGS IN MY BACK YARD :P
RH to Daisy To Moskey to McCargoe to Daisy To RH 2014
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

jjurhs wrote:WAS JUST ON THE ISLAND THE 9TH TO THE 15TH OF AUG. THERE ARE MORE BUGS IN MY BACK YARD :P
AWESOME NEWS! WHERE IS YOUR BACK YARD? ☺
smokey brown
NewbieCake

Post by smokey brown »

Just back, Aug 15 to 21, Windigo to Rock Harbor, almost no bugs, a few along the swamps out of Todd Harbor but even was able to sit out evenings without bug dope.
Last edited by smokey brown on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Bug Update? 8/16-8/23

Post by Donk_67 »

Just back from an end-end trip: skeeters were becoming more prevalent during the week of fog and rain. Not overly bad, I didn't have to use much repellant but by Thursday night, I was becoming annoyed with them at my shelther in Windigo.
Wiconi
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Wiconi »

Planing a trip with my 10-y/o. We were there the week before Labor day 2 years ago - and saw a black fly and 2 mosquitoes. Last year, I went solo (same week - just before Labor day), and the bugs were present, but not bad between Chippewa Harbor and Moskey Basin - but didn't see any others between Moskey and Rock Harbor.

This year we arrive via seaplane on the 30th, and take the boar to Chippewa on the following morning, and over a week's time, make our way back to Rock Harbor. (the little one doesn't like high-trail-mile days - preferring short hops, and day hikes)

Anyone been on those trails recently? What's the bug situation? Is it ok to just have a little repellant, or do we need the whole head net thing?
GoofyGirl
NewbieCake

Post by GoofyGirl »

Maybe the bugs just don't like me but I have never found them to be overwhelming. Try to wipe off excess sweat as that seems to help a lot.