What's the difference between email and "private message" to contact a forum member

Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

What's the difference between email and "private message" to contact a forum member

Post by LeftOvers »

I want to ask a member question. What's the difference between the two choices: "Email address: send email to 'member'" or "PM: send private message"?
Thanks.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: What's the difference between email and "private message" to contact a forum member

Post by hooky »

An email goes to the recipients email inbox. Private message never leaves the server goes to users message inbox here on the forum.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer

Re: What's the difference between email and "private message" to contact a forum member

Post by LeftOvers »

Thanks.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Like Hooky said, an email is sent to a user anonymously via the Forum software. It shows up in the recipients personal email as being "from" the forums, so there's a bit of anonymity there.

A private message never leaves the forum itself. I think the "Private Message" feature is superfluous, since I get an email notification saying that I have a "private message waiting for you on the Isle Royale forums" anyway.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer

Post by LeftOvers »

Thank you. I think I should spend some time reading the FAQs (faq.php). I would have found the answer there.