Porkies 3 nighter?

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Porkies 3 nighter?

Post by alecto73 »

So I took 9/4 off to set up a 4 day weekend and I'm _finally_ going to do the Porkies. I had originally been planning to do two nights and camp at Little Carp and Mirror Lake but now I have an extra day. I also really don't know much about routes there and that was a relatively arbitrary choice. I am open to any suggestions regarding a 3 night first-time Porkies trip. I run pretty light and I usually cover a lot of ground in a day, but I'm not looking to plan a death march this trip, just need to get back outside. I would also not rule out another U.P. destination if you can talk me into it. I've done Pictured Rocks but other than that and IR I think that's about it for up there.
|| Jess ||
michigandave
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Porkies 3 nighter?

Post by michigandave »

In Jujne of 2011 we did a 3 night 4 day trip to the Porkies, utilizing the rental cabins and had a great time. The rental cabins all have rustic sites within a quarter to half mile away. Here's our route: Lake of the Clouds overlook down to Buckshot cabin along the Superior shore, next day head down the coast to Big Carp River (we stayed at Big Carp 6). Day 3 head inland to Mirror Lake, then on the last day climb back out to Lake of the Clouds. Mileage was around 20 something, trails were good and we did run into some mud.

If you're not set on the Porkies, check out Grand Island near Munising. I just did a 4 day, 3 night solo trip there in July! Plus, for $15 bucks, that gets you the ferry and park fees.
alecto73
Trailblazer

Post by alecto73 »

I'm actually leaving for the Trap Hills in about half an hour. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
|| Jess ||
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

So how was the 3-4 night Porkies trip? I'm planning a very similar agenda next year myself. As much as I love IR, not having to plan aroun d ferry schedules in early to mid May seems so much more practicle!

Did either of you guys do any fishing? I'm planning to do as much small water brookie fishing as possible. Not big into the steelies, although I may bring equipment to give 'er a try.
alecto73
Trailblazer

Post by alecto73 »

Trap Hills can best be described as 'you will work for your views'. It was a cool trip but you need to be in decent shape. I was hurtin'. :-)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1172627051 ... pHills2012

|| Jess ||
LarryL
LNT Expert

Post by LarryL »

alecto73 wrote:Trap Hills can best be described as 'you will work for your views'. It was a cool trip but you need to be in decent shape. I was hurtin'. :-)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1172627051 ... pHills2012

Just read your post about the Trap Hills. I had never heard of it before. Sounds interesting - thanks!
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting