1st Trip to IR

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

farmer_ron_99
NewbieCake

1st Trip to IR

Post by farmer_ron_99 »

I will be traveling to IR September 10th with a group of 5 others for my first trip to the island. I am an avid backpacker and really looking forward to the visit. I believe we have a fairly aggressive, but not impossible itinerary:

1st day Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm
2nd day Daisy Farm to Hatchet Lake
3rd day Hatchet Lake to McCargoe Cove
4th day McCargoe Cove to 3 mile
5th day 3 mile to Rock Harbor

I was looking forward to a shower and a good meal at Rock Harbor at the end of the trip, but I learned that the concessionaire closes the week before.

I do have a couple of questions:
1. How will the insects be at this time of year?
2. What temperatures should we expect?
3. Should we get the cross country permit so that we can camp near (at least 1/2 mile away) the campsites listed above for more privacy?

Thanks for all of your help.
Ron
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: 1st Trip to IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Day light is diminishing, get early starts each day.

1. minimal insects, expected.
2. it has snowed every month of the year on the Isle; possibly 32 at night, 70 during day?
3. minimal competition for camp sites, privacy most likely a non-issue.

YMMV
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
HikingKat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by HikingKat »

I apologize for hijacking this thread. However, I am considering a trip to IR next week and need some information. Never been there before. I have some questions also if someone could assist.

1. Best map(s) for the island.
2. Apparently it can get wet there, should I bring my gators?
3. Humidity, I usually use a down quilt, should I bring something different?

Most of my backpacking is in the Olympic National Park with bugs, rain, and camping on snow when needed. Usually steep trails and a bear can is required. After reading some of the posts on this forum I am getting a little concerned about the conditions on IR. Is there anything I need to consider? Sounds like there are shelters everywhere and few people. How brushy is it? Is there any thing about the parking situation in Houghton I should be aware of? Any advice would be great.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

HikingKat wrote:I apologize for hijacking this thread. However, I am considering a trip to IR next week and need some information. Never been there before. I have some questions also if someone could assist.

1. Best map(s) for the island.
2. Apparently it can get wet there, should I bring my gators?
3. Humidity, I usually use a down quilt, should I bring something different?

Most of my backpacking is in the Olympic National Park with bugs, rain, and camping on snow when needed. Usually steep trails and a bear can is required. After reading some of the posts on this forum I am getting a little concerned about the conditions on IR. Is there anything I need to consider? Sounds like there are shelters everywhere and few people. How brushy is it? Is there any thing about the parking situation in Houghton I should be aware of? Any advice would be great.
1. The Trails Illustrated map is best.
2. Lots of thimbleberry bushes overhang the trail in places which will soak you just from the dew, even if it hasn't rained. So yes, lots of folks recommend them.
3. Don't know why it shouldn't be fine, but haven't used one myself.
4. No bears! Squirrels have been known to chew into packs--I keep the food pack in the tent, unlike most anywhere else.
5. Shelters are at most Lake Superior campgrounds, but not at inland ones. They're nice when available, but you can't count on them so you do need a tent.
6. Parking in Houghton is right by the boat dock. Easy and no worries.
Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I took my first trip in June, and was worried in advance about population density at the campgrounds. (I'm not actually misanthropic, but I'm introverted enough that I stress out in situations where I might have to talk to strangers.) I was picturing a clearing with a cluster of tent sites, each in plain view of the others. Neither of the campgrounds I stayed at (Hatchet Lake and Lane Cove; at each place every site was occupied) were like that. At Hatchet the sites were dispersed, reached by a variety of short side trails from the lakeside path, and obscured from one another by trees and brush. Lane Cove was a similar deal, only the sites were actually along the shore. While it's not like having an alpine lake to yourself, it's definitely not a KOA situation either.

Have fun and bring your own TP!
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

HikingKat,

Gators are a good option, I have always carried down gear/bags to the Isle.

Consider this package for your map needs+. Help those that help the park.

http://irkpa.org/shop/maps-charts/isle- ... ng-package
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

I live in the Keweenaw, which is pretty similar to IR. I can just see it on the horizon on a clear day. Early September can be really hot once in a while, but probably more like 60s-70s normally, but could be 50s. Could even be 40s, depending on the year. Lows could be 30s-40s. With luck, 50s.

Basically, September could be anything. I've seen highs of 90, and I've probably seen highs of 45. It would be nice to be able to plan for 70, but I really wouldn't leave myself without some warm layers.

Also, I'd be prepared for some rain.
HikingKat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by HikingKat »

Thank you to everyone for their responses. I hopefully will be there next week. I booked passage yesterday and have got most of my gear ready. Just need to get a map which I should be able to purchase there somewhere. No hiking plan yet, just enough food for 6 or 7 days. One funny thing that I noticed while getting my food ready was how dependent I had become on my bear can for organization. It will be nice to leave that 2.9 lbs home!