September Boat Delays

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

September Boat Delays

Post by Ingo »

Going out the 3rd week of Sept, planning to bring an extra day's worth of food in case the boat gets delayed (Queen IV). Should I bring 2 extra days? I only remembering hearing about once when the boats were delayed for more than a day. Anyone had to wait more than a day? I figure the rangers won't let anyone starve to death in any case. ;)
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: September Boat Delays

Post by hooky »

All the Rangers go home the week of Labor Day. Better take enough extra for another day. :)

I've always taken an extra day of food on purpose and usually end with at least 2 extra days by accident.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

1 1/2 days many years ago. The last trip of the year. Delayed by a storrm, the next day, the ranger said they would be at the dock at 2 and left the dock at 2:20. Paddling?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

hooky wrote:All the Rangers go home the week of Labor Day. Better take enough extra for another day. :)
Sequestration?
hooky wrote:I've always taken an extra day of food on purpose and usually end with at least 2 extra days by accident.
Yup, unless we're leaving from R.H. My 1st trip in the off-season.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

johnhens wrote:1 1/2 days many years ago. The last trip of the year. Delayed by a storrm, the next day, the ranger said they would be at the dock at 2 and left the dock at 2:20. Paddling?
Paddling, so it's not a huge deal weight wise. But already planning to bring extras and don't want to get TOO carried away :).
JavaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by JavaHiker »

hooky wrote:All the Rangers go home the week of Labor Day. Better take enough extra for another day.
Just curious: what is your source for this? I'm wondering why any of the staff would leave during the busy holiday weekend...

Any unopened food packets I have at the end of my trip I leave at the Windigo Visitor Center. The staff there will store it and distribute it to anyone in need who gets stranded on the island due to a ferry cancellation. They will also accept left over stove fuel for the same reason.

JH
"Observe. Absorb. Create. Share."
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

JavaHiker wrote:
hooky wrote:All the Rangers go home the week of Labor Day. Better take enough extra for another day.
Just curious: what is your source for this? I'm wondering why any of the staff would leave during the busy holiday weekend...

JH
poorly executed joke. most of the time I'm only concerned with amusing myself.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

I usually bring an extra dinner but like hooky's experience, I always seem to end up with more than that unused. I may take a little less on my upcoming trip this September.

I've never been delayed on the inbound trip back from Isle Royale but have been delayed once outbound to Windigo for a day due to high winds and large waves.
RICHIGAN
NewbieCake

Post by RICHIGAN »

Leaving for IR in two weeks myself from Calavander (Hillsborough, nc). I'm planning on bringing extra cash instead of the extra meal. If I get stuck in Windigo, cause of weather, I will just want something that hasn't been in my pack for a week.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

RICHIGAN wrote:Leaving for IR in two weeks myself from Calavander (Hillsborough, nc). I'm planning on bringing extra cash instead of the extra meal. If I get stuck in Windigo, cause of weather, I will just want something that hasn't been in my pack for a week.
We live a few miles apart! That's normally part of my plan, but everything will be closed when I go in Sept.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

JavaHiker wrote:

JH
There are still rangers there, after Labor Day visitorship drops off, the lodge, store and facilities start to close down. As it is not as busy, the NPS reduces staff including the folks who work the vistor center. Hours that the visitor center are open are reduced, usually when the boats come in. The hours of operation are posted on the door. Same for Windigo.
RICHIGAN
NewbieCake

Post by RICHIGAN »

Ingo wrote:
RICHIGAN wrote:Leaving for IR in two weeks myself from Calavander (Hillsborough, nc). I'm planning on bringing extra cash instead of the extra meal. If I get stuck in Windigo, cause of weather, I will just want something that hasn't been in my pack for a week.
We live a few miles apart! That's normally part of my plan, but everything will be closed when I go in Sept.

i cant wait to put on layers of clothes. it has been way too hot down here for my blood.
have a safe journey.