Huron Mountains

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Huron Mountains

Post by treeplanter »

bobcat wrote:............I imagine the Huron Mountains would be a glorious destination if it was public land instead of a private reserve!
I was there back in 1978. Perhaps the most dramatic scenery in the State of Michigan. Rugged landscape with shear rock cliffs. Lots of old-growth timber too. Sadly, I was only there a few hours, so took virtually no pictures. Strong memories though.
conmcb25
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Huron Mountains

Post by conmcb25 »

treeplanter wrote:
bobcat wrote:............I imagine the Huron Mountains would be a glorious destination if it was public land instead of a private reserve!
I was there back in 1978. Perhaps the most dramatic scenery in the State of Michigan. Rugged landscape with shear rock cliffs. Lots of old-growth timber too. Sadly, I was only there a few hours, so took virtually no pictures. Strong memories though.
I spent a couple of days about 25 years ago trying to find a back route in there from the West Side.

I must have been on every two track west of the property. No dice, everything was blocked by very stout concrete pylons with very heavy chains and locks blocking the roads.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Huron Mountains

Post by treeplanter »

conmcb25 wrote:........I must have been on every two track west of the property. No dice, everything was blocked by very stout concrete pylons with very heavy chains and locks blocking the roads.
Some guys I worked with bushwhacked onto their property probably 30 years ago. Both were skilled orienteers. If I remember their story correctly, like you, they came in from the west and followed old logging roads until they got about a mile from the Huron Mountain Club boundary. They then took off across country using both aerial photos and a compass for navigation. They made it to Mountain Lake where they camped overnight (no fires). They hiked out the next morning.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Huron Mountains

Post by Midwest Ed »

A friend recently traversed the mid range area via Northwestern Road in his Jeep Wrangler. He said less worthy SUVs would not make it. AAA Road a little further south is in much better shape. Trying to take the more northern route along “blind Hwy 35” will most likely be met with opposition. Another friend of mine snowmobiles annually out of Big Bay. It is interesting to note that there are several DNR designated snowmobile trails in this area but almost none are duplicated as ATV trails as is common other areas.

Last month I poked around a bit northeast of L’Anse, looking for an abandoned Slate quarry but never found it. I now have GPS coordinates and plan to return. The Huron Mountain Club (and Huron Wildlife Association) does indeed cherish and protect their privacy but it is relatively small at about 24,000 acres. Longyear Realty controls far more area in the rest of the area comprising 73,000 acres and allows multiuse commercial access. There is a relatively new copper and nickel mine (Eagle Mine) along AAA Road.

Even though the northern areas have a bit of an aura about them, maybe due to the restrictions, there are so many other accessible areas in the U.P. For example, Sylvania National Forrest with its Sylvania Wilderness Area and Craig Lake State Park where you can rent a Yurt and it has trail head access into Michigamme Wilderness Area right in the heart of the Hurons.

But the real gem of the U.P. for bushwack camping is the Keweenaw. It is mostly private land as well but the whole mindset of the locals allows for careful and quiet use. There are numerous places you can hike through or into and then camp along Lake Superior while never bumping into another person.

Here’s an interesting take on various areas of the U.P.

I ran across this interesting 2005 Huron Mountain motorcycle trip.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Huron Mountains

Post by treeplanter »

Midwest Ed wrote:.......The Huron Mountain Club (and Huron Wildlife Association) does indeed cherish and protect their privacy but it is relatively small at about 24,000 acres..........[/url]
What separates the Huron Mountain Club ownership from surrounding land is it’s incredibly rugged terrain (look at a topo map), and it’s 20,000+ acres of old-growth timber. That’s why I went there back in 1978, to take measurements in the hemlock/hardwood type. It really is a unique area. Nothing quite like it in the rest of the U.P.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Huron Mountains

Post by Midwest Ed »

Indeed, the Huron Mountain area is fantastic. They used to be incredibly tall, taller than the Rockies. Their erosion is what formed the Jacobsville Red and Brown Sandstone seen in buildings throughout the Midwest and East. As far as geologic formations and terrain, the Keweenaw Fault and the subsequent cliffs and outcroppings created do match the uniqueness. Also, they are the real mirror image of the ridges and cliffs of Isle Royale with the two formations creating the geosyncline bowl that is western Lake Superior. The mining industry wiped out most of the old growth timber but there are still some areas preserved. We sure hijacked this thread.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Huron Mountains

Post by IncaRoads »

The preceding six posts were moved into this new topic.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Thanks Inca.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR

Post by treeplanter »

Yeah, thanks. We did kind of stray from the original topic.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

I like the discussion on the Huron Mountains and related environs. Keep it up.

I've only made it to the Huron Mtn. Club gate (complete with guard) coming in from the Big Bay side.
conmcb25
NewbieCake

Post by conmcb25 »

treeplanter wrote:
conmcb25 wrote:........I must have been on every two track west of the property. No dice, everything was blocked by very stout concrete pylons with very heavy chains and locks blocking the roads.
Some guys I worked with bushwhacked onto their property probably 30 years ago. Both were skilled orienteers. If I remember their story correctly, like you, they came in from the west and followed old logging roads until they got about a mile from the Huron Mountain Club boundary. They then took off across country using both aerial photos and a compass for navigation. They made it to Mountain Lake where they camped overnight (no fires). They hiked out the next morning.
At the time we were truck camping and 4 wheeling. I always thought that was the way to get in there. Maybe someday Ill try it.
conmcb25
NewbieCake

Post by conmcb25 »

Midwest Ed wrote:But the real gem of the U.P. for bushwack camping is the Keweenaw. It is mostly private land as well but the whole mindset of the locals allows for careful and quiet use. There are numerous places you can hike through or into and then camp along Lake Superior while never bumping into another person.
/agreed. I went to Houghton Tech for my engineering degree. When I wasn't studying or drinking beer :) - I was in the Keewenaw poking around almost that entire peninsula one time or another. My favorite camping spot was Keystone Bay, but that last time I checked about 5 or 6 years ago, the barely passable road that went out there was blocked off by some serious horizontal work :(

I might be taking a trip up there this upcoming May, if I do I may walk the shore from High Rock Bay to Keystone Bay. Might even spend the night there.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Several of the places mentioned here and in other threads are connected via the North Country Trail System.

Here's an interactive map.