Overwintering

Questions regarding the history of the island and historical places on the island.

Moderator: drobarge

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Overwintering

Post by johnhens »

I would love to spend a winter on IR.
http://www.lakesuperior.com/the-lake/ma ... le-royale/
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Overwintering

Post by hooky »

I think it would be fantastic, but the amount of fire wood you'd have to put up is very unappealing to me. ;)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

The romance fades after the cold nearly murders you once or twice. It is more difficult than expected to revert to a mindset and an era when the vast majority of time and effort is expended to merely stay alive. Still it is intriguing to consider it. Before I had ever heard of Isle Royale a friend and I romanticized about making our way to some unknown Canadian homestead in the early Spring, building a cabin, and then spending the Winter. For further reading, I suggest Calvin Rutstrum who lived in several places including several places along Lake Superior and the Boundary Waters area in MN as well as northern areas of Ontario. He built many cabins and wrote many wilderness living (not survival) books. One book I'm remembering is, "Paradise Below Zero" which chronicles his living with the Inuit people. He was a remarkable person, I think on par with Thoreau. I never found any evidence that he visited The Island, probably because it was not "enough" of a wilderness.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

My all time favorite about living in the wild:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I've been toying with the idea of buying some or all (or at least most) of the DVD's.

http://www.dickproenneke.com/
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I've watched the Proenneke series on PBS. I couldn't find it on any PBS website but there is a lot of Proenneke stuff on Youtube. His cabin Twin Lake Alaska cabin while not located in a national park is now owned by the National Park Service. Rutrum's several books are similar and are very detailed in "how to". There's one that he devoted to building a log cabin.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013