Access to pack on Ranger III

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Access to pack on Ranger III

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Hey all,

I was unable to find an answer to this by searching, so I am hoping you guys can help me out.

I was wondering if you have access to your pack while en-route to and from the island on the Ranger III? Specifically, I'd like to have access to my camera, snacks, etc. Should I just pack along a little baggie to carry those items separate on the boat or will I be able to get into my pack as needed? My gut tells me the packs will be stored away from passengers but just curious.

Getting excited for our trip in August. I already emailed in our ferry reservations and they confirmed receiving them but cant process until the rest of the staff arrives in mid February. Should be hearing back soon.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Access to pack on Ranger III

Post by Ingo »

Packs are stored below and not accessible, so carry anything you want on the boat separately. That's true for all the boats (except the others store gear above).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Thanks Ingo! I figured that was the case. I will just put them in a plastic meijer sack or something. Lightweight and doubles as a bag to pack out trash throughout the rest of our trip.

Any suggestions for what to bring on the boat? Its a long ride so right now I am thinking some motion sickness pills/patches, snacks, bottle of water, camera, and maybe a book or deck of cards.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

You have a good handle on it! I like to carry my map too (just don't forget it). There is a snack bar on the Ranger III, so some cash will suffice as well. I remember having a very plain sandwich on wonder bread--it sufficed as I recall (been a few years). I think I remember folks saying they have good chili, however. A ranger usually gives a talk on the way out to help pass the time.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

The ranger III has a large supply of board and card games you can borrow. Some snacks are a good idea, I believe they also have Dramamine onboard also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Tightlines01 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:25 pm The ranger III has a large supply of board and card games you can borrow. Some snacks are a good idea, I believe they also have Dramamine onboard also.
Thanks Tightlines! That is pretty neat that they supply games and such. Hopefully the ride wont be too rough! I will probably try to take a nap at some point. Cant wait!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

If you are prone to motion sickness, then laying down or napping is not your best move, unless of course the water is flat. One of the best things to do to combat motion sickness is to stay alert, keep your eyes on the horizon and step outside a bit for some fresh air. Motion sickness can be triggered when your brain gets confused between what your inner ear is transmitting vs the other senses, particularly sight.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Midwest Ed wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:24 pm If you are prone to motion sickness, then laying down or napping is not your best move, unless of course the water is flat. One of the best things to do to combat motion sickness is to stay alert, keep your eyes on the horizon and step outside a bit for some fresh air. Motion sickness can be triggered when your brain gets confused between what your inner ear is transmitting vs the other senses, particularly sight.
Oh I am well aware. I have never had motion sickness (*knock on wood*) and I have been on a lot of boats on big water. My husband on the other hand does get it (though it has to be pretty rough for him to feel it), he wont be napping :) We bring our Dramamine for him. I am more hoping its not too rough so we could play a hand of cards or something or walk around and check out the boat easily.