cody.magill itinerary

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

cody.magill itinerary

Post by Ingo »

cody.magill wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 9:01 pm Name: Cody Magill
Email: codemanradiohead(at)yahoo.com
Hometown: Tionesta, PA
Arrival Date: 8/22/17
Departure Date: 8/30/17
Coming From/Via:Houghton/Ranger III
Itinerary:
8/21 - Drive to MI from PA, camp at Hancock Recreation Area Campground
8/22 - Ranger III to IR, camp at Rock Harbor (hopefully!)
8/23 - Water taxi to Hidden Lake, GRT to Lane Cove
8/24 - GRT to West Chickenbone
8/25 - GRT to Hatchet Lake
8/26 - GRT to South Lake Desor
8/27 - GRT to Washington Creek
8/28 - Voyageur II to Rock Harbor, hopefully camp at Three Mile
8/29 - Get a spot in Rock Harbor first thing in the morning, rent a kayak and/or chill for the day
8/30 - Ranger III back to Houghton

Notes/Other: Experienced solo hiker, but open to constructive criticism. Reservations already made, so dates are set in stone. Question - During the time of year I'll be visiting, will I sleep comfortably in a 20° bag? I'd very much prefer not to schlep my heavier 0° one.
Cody, I bring a 35 degree bag and silk liner that time of year. Last year the end of Sept. You'll be fine with a 20 deg bag.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: cody.magill itinerary

Post by jrwiesz »

I would say 20 degree should be fine.

All three of my trips were in late August/early Sept; a 15 degree seemed too warm at times on one trip, 30 degree on the other two was just fine.

This year I want to try a bivy with a Exped winter lite pad, and one of those Costco down throw/quilt set up.

I think it would be an especially good set up to use in the shelters.

Maybe not have to set up a tent in the shelter to hold heat loss to a minimum. :?:
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

jrwiesz wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 6:28 pm Maybe not have to set up a tent in the shelter to hold heat loss to a minimum. :?:
Last year I put up my tent inside the shelter at Daisy Farm not because of the cold, but because of the steady stream of water coming through a crack in the ceiling during an extended downpour :(
Basbh1
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Basbh1 »

Tortuga wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 7:39 pm
jrwiesz wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 6:28 pm Maybe not have to set up a tent in the shelter to hold heat loss to a minimum. :?:
Last year I put up my tent inside the shelter at Daisy Farm not because of the cold, but because of the steady stream of water coming through a crack in the ceiling during an extended downpour :(
What shelter # ? Going to Daisy In 8 days don't want that one if it is a leaker
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

Basbh1 wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:33 pm What shelter # ? Going to Daisy In 8 days don't want that one if it is a leaker
I'm 99.99999% certain it was shelter #11. I got first dibs and picked that one for being on the lake (sort of), and close to the privy.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-E14gqpkGTuk/ ... .50.08.jpg

That said, the entire camp was a swamp at that time. During the rain, there were actually streams forming on the trail between cabins. Total mess. I read a comment on here somewhere about beaver activity that might be causing flooding at some of the sites. They do have lots of shelters though, and you're going at a time where you shouldn't have trouble snagging a good one.
Basbh1
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Basbh1 »

Tortuga wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:59 pm
Basbh1 wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:33 pm What shelter # ? Going to Daisy In 8 days don't want that one if it is a leaker
I'm 99.99999% certain it was shelter #11. I got first dibs and picked that one for being on the lake (sort of), and close to the privy.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-E14gqpkGTuk/ ... .50.08.jpg

That said, the entire camp was a swamp at that time. During the rain, there were actually streams forming on the trail between cabins. Total mess. I read a comment on here somewhere about beaver activity that might be causing flooding at some of the sites. They do have lots of shelters though, and you're going at a time where you shouldn't have trouble snagging a good one.
Lake is a + privy is a + . So I have to set the tent in the shelter now the leaker doesn't sound to bad to me. thanks for the info it is appreciated.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

Hopefully you don't need to do that.

I do suggest you guys take a tarp. Basic blue Griz tarp found at Walmart or any hardware store. Have some para-cord as well and you can fashion a windbreak against the shelter's screen front. I used additional cording to make clothesline to dry my stuff out when I got to camp. Shelters are definitely the way to go on IR.

I'm excited for you guys and can't wait to hear about your trip. I'll be following you exactly two weeks later and am super stoked on my second go at the beast.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

As of last year, Shelter 9 was a bad leaker. The family that was there got a pretty good soaking. (I like 10; good access to the dock and lake.)

I don't think beaver activity has much impact on Daisy; so much of the camp seems alluvial already and in general gets mushy in heavy rain. It's not a fast draining camp, mainly due to terrain and soil. Typically the beavers tend to be more active up stream.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

Tom wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:58 am
As of last year, Shelter 9 was a bad leaker. The family that was there got a pretty good soaking. (I like 10; good access to the dock and lake.)

I don't think beaver activity has much impact on Daisy; so much of the camp seems alluvial already and in general gets mushy in heavy rain. It's not a fast draining camp, mainly due to terrain and soil. Typically the beavers tend to be more active up stream.
Maybe I stayed in 9, then. I was pretty sure it was 11 but am willing to be wrong. Either way it was a mess. :lol:

It's my first stop next month, so I'll just make sure to avoid the odd-number shelters and try to grab an even if possible.