Trip report May 19-22 2017

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Basbh1
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Trip report May 19-22 2017

Post by Basbh1 »

Just got back from IR. It was a little rough 4 + foot waves and according to a crew member from not a good direction. Friday we hiked from Rock harbor to Three mile trail is very muddy weather was good clear and cold . We wanted to make it to Daisy but stopped. Fished at 3mile no fish .Saturday we hiked to Daisy muddy trail fished for a little wile was cold and windy on the dock was freezing and no fish . Sunday was our most fun day we hiked up to mount objibaway in the rain saw 2 moose on the way up it was raining sideways up on the Greenstone .I was truly worried about hypothermia we ducked behind the tower bottom for a very short break kept the packs on ate a few handfuls of trail mix for our lunch and continued on. We hiked harder than normal to stay warm hiked to mount Franklin then down to 3 mile we were soaking wet. Changed into dry clothes ate supper and climbed into the sleeping bags to stay warm. Got up early this morning and we hiked the Tobin trail back to Rock harbor. The Tobin was great only a few muddy spots . Will be taking the Tobin trail instead of the rock harbor trail in the future. Trail crew's have the rock and Tobin clear we had to duck some trees on the way up to mount Objibaway it was a great trip we hade fun and learned alot
Basbh1
NewbieCake

Re: Trip report May 19-22 2017

Post by Basbh1 »

Forgot to mention only saw 1 mosquito in 4 days
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

Thanks for the report. I'm hopeful the bugs won't bloom for a couple more weeks. Heading over next Monday:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Thanks for the report! I hope the mosquitolessness warmed your souls while you recovered from the sideways rain on the Greenstone Ridge!
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Thanks for the trip report. Heading up memorial day, planning on cold wet weather.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Is the "most fun day" statement sarcasm? :)
Basbh1
NewbieCake

Post by Basbh1 »

fonixmunkee wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 12:32 pm Is the "most fun day" statement sarcasm? :)
No sarcasm it was a hike I will never forget seeing the moose and having a challenging hike like that in the weather conditions we had was actually fun. We were properly dressed for the conditions and had the proper gear had we not been, it would not have been fun at all. We talked to a few people who did not have much fun because of poor planning as in 50 degree sleeping bags and cheep light rain poncho's. One couple was checking in after me they did not have a water filter or stove to make safe water I don't think the park service gave them a back country permit I think they ended up staying at rock harbor for the 4 days. The park service must have given them water because the water was not turned on yet the bathrooms were closed everything was still closed when we left on the 22nd.
B49721
NewbieCake

Post by B49721 »

Thanks for the update. I'm going over today - your post helps with my plans.