September trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

September trip

Post by jerry »

For my 11th trip to ISRO NP I'm thinking about going after labor day this year (mid to late September). I'm thinking about day hiking out of Washington Creek campground/shelters. I figure the showers, flush toilets and the room where we can wash clothes are locked up by the time I get there. Hopefully, the filtered water pump is still working. Am I correct with these assumptions?
I plan a hike out to Hugginin Cove, probably one up to Island Mine and one or two out toward Feldtman. Getting older I was able to hike from Rock Harbor out to Moskey Basin last year. Getting older sucks, that's why I'm going to do numerous day hikes this year. Any ideas are appreciated. jerry
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: September trip

Post by Midwest Ed »

You might want to look into the camper cabins in Windigo. They are open until Saturday the 16th of September. The Rock Harbor Lodge and Windigo cabins are open for an extra week this year. I'm not sure about the other concession amenities but I would guess the store is open till the 16th as well. When I talked to the Lodge people they thought the Windigo water would still be on at least through the end of September but she could not guarantee that. Best to confirm with the park service about the water.

It is interesting about your plans as I was thinking about doing something similar this year. Even if I hung out, in and around Washington Creek for just 1 night (or 4) then I'd be happy.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Thanks for the info. I wonder how many businesses are still going in Grand Marais in September?
P.S. Are you going to do the east or west side of ISRO NP?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

jerry wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:08 pm I wonder how many businesses are still going in Grand Marais in September?
I'd guess all of them; some perhaps with extended hours. I think fall-color leaf season is one of the busiest times up the North Shore.
At least it always seems that way, from a traffic perspective...
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Thanks Tom! Remember me, the old guy you gave water to and shared your knowledge of the NP?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Of course Jerry! A great visit at Daisy Farm, from what I recall. It's always fun to meet the 'faces' of the forum!
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I've too have always enjoyed meeting folks from the "Forum". The laundry and showers are not going to be available in the last half of September. The potable water is available into October.