Water sources/Stream in Minong trail

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

vgeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Water sources/Stream in Minong trail

Post by vgeh »

Hello,
Any water sources other than inland lakes in Minong trail? Are the creeks shown in NatGeo map reliable source? Trip is first week of Sept.- just couple of days left!
I am thinking if I should account 1 mile(half in and half out to get water from inland lakes or Lake Superior) or just manage the streams flowing next to the trail.
Thanks
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Water sources/Stream in Minong trail

Post by ARRC »

The map is pretty close. I Just finished the Minong last week. If my memory serves me right. McCargo to Todd not much water access. Todd to Little Todd Maybe three streams crossed the trail. Little Todd to N Desor one stream and a beaver dam. N Desor to Windigo, multiple places to find water, three of which are beaver dams, but sometimes a distance a part at the beginning.
I always drink a liter or so before I leave camp and generally carry two liters.

Best I can remember. Hope that helps a little. Have a great trip, the trail is awesome!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by paulbates »

We recently (8/6 - 8/8) did the Minong east to west. We were fine from McCargoe to Little Todd, with a water fill up at Todd. There were several good streams but they weren't needed. If you won't be stopping at Little Todd and hiking the half mile down to the camp, then water up at the stream crossed by the big 20' dead tree a mile or so before the N Desor/Little Todd sign post. You'll know it when you see it (and cross it!)

Not much from Little Todd to N Desor, but its ~5 miles and maybe 4 hours. 2 quarts should do you.

N. Lake Desor to Washington creek. It was over 7 hours for us. There was a brown stream at about 6 miles, I tried it and it filtered brown. There are 3 beaver ponds over the next few miles, lots of brown, septic smelling water. There are a couple of streams as you approach Washington Creek campground, but for us, it was getting dark and we were almost there so we pushed on. One thing we did was fill our 2 liter dirty water filter bag with lake water prior to leaving N Lake Desor and filtered it in route. More weight, but better than running out. That gave us 3.5 quarts per person.

In summary, save weight and filter brown water from the beaver dams and streams en route, or fill some in your dirty water bag at Desor and carry to filter enroute.

As ARRC pointed out, drink up right before leaving N Desor.

Paul
vgeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by vgeh »

Thanks ARRC and Paul!