NCT / Mantistee, take 2

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

NCT / Mantistee, take 2

Post by paulbates »

I realize there is a recent thread here on the NCT / Mantistee in this subforum, but I'm looking at close but different stretch to try in May of next year.

I'm thinking of starting down by US10 and going straight through up to M55/Caberfae Hwy at the north end of the Udell Hills. The goals are a scenic route with minimal road walking, and a <=4 hour drive from metro Detroit. This seems to fit the bill.

I'll need to arrange a drop off, I'm going to contract the NCT group that cares for this part to see if I can work that out.

Has anybody here hiked this part?

Paul
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: NCT / Mantistee, take 2

Post by torpified »

I haven't walked either stretch but I'm curious about both -- so I'm following!
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

NCT / Mantistee, take 2

Post by Donk_67 »

I hiked from McCarthy Lake to m55/ Udell hills. There was a small bit of road walk. It was ok as far as scenic goes, with Udell being the highlight of the hike. There was a stretch where I stashed water to avoid a 2 mile round trip for water source. I had met my friend, who had started in Baldwin, at McCarthy with intentions of camping there the first night...a large group (2 big campers) pulling in just before I arrived changed our itinerary. Friend broke camp and we staged my truck near the NCT to grab a few miles before dark. Found a perfect spot just before true dark and it turned out ok (emphasis on quiet sleep conditions).

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/sho ... 53-8-miles

Trip report...unfortunately the photos aren't available...thanks photobucket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
paulbates
LNT Expert

Post by paulbates »

First of all, thank you. I love the detailed report and photos. Using the link at the bottom of the report I was able to open the photobucket site and squint through the tiles. Using the links I could tie the report photo number to the photobucket site. So +- some PB spamming, it put it back together... PB did not gain a user today based on how it behaves. FB lets me republish public pics here by link easily.

Point taken on the named and popular campsites like McCarthy. I think I would use your same approach and have several options with an eye on water. But given we may go on a popular weekend, back country sites sound good. Plus, we're hammock campers too, so formal campground sites may not be hammock friendly.

I'm looking at starting down on Wingleton Rd and hiking up to the McCarthy area day one. Then somewhere in the Bear Track area for the second night. I'm trying to decide daily mileage. We did the Minong this summer and 12 Minong miles a day beat us to death (including the need/weight of carrying extra water at certain spots). This terrain doesn't look as severe. The water caching there near Bear Track is a great idea.

- Speaking of bears, did you take any bear precautions like a bear canister?
- Any other critter encounters?
- Looks like there is a parking circle at where the trail hits M55 at 5207? Did you drop a car there?

I have an email into the Spirit of the Woods chapter on getting a drop off, and the opening comments in the report about that are encouraging.

Thanks again Donk_67 for sharing, this really helped.

Paul
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

12 miles on the NCT down there are a walk in the park compared to IR. I almost always hang a bear bag except on IR; it's a good habit in my mind. Ticks would have been an issue if I hadn't treated my clothes with permethrin. Good Parking at M55...Federal, so 5$ a day if I remember correctly- and you don't want to skip that payment as the fine is $75. Glad the report was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulbates
LNT Expert

Re: NCT / Mantistee, take 2 -- make that take 3

Post by paulbates »

One more change in plans. I'm doing part of the NCT in Manistee in May, but because of time constraints, I needed to cut down drive time and moved further south. I'm hiking the 40 miles from 11 mile road south, ending up in Croton. Lowered my gear weight a lot in the last few months, time to try it out.

Paul
paulbates
LNT Expert

Post by paulbates »

I eventually did this trip @ 57 miles
If you click the comments icon at the bottom, the page will open up and show you the pictures and comments.. even with no FB account or login