June Trip

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

June Trip

Post by chief54 »

I will be doing a different kind of trip this June. All my previous trips have been backpacking trips going as light as possible as the years have passed. I am an avid photographer and on my second trip to in early 70's I brought my first SLR camera, took 3 rolls of film, but developer lost two rolls but still have pictures from the one roll. On all my subsequent trips I have brought cheap disposable and point and shoot cameras.
This year I will be bringing all my camera gear and because of weight of 4 cameras,tripod,lenses,etc. I will be base camping. Coming over on Ranger and using water taxis and Voyageur tentative plans are 2 days at Daisy, 2 days at Malone, day at Windigo, 2 days at McCargo and 2 days back at Rock and then seaplane back. This will be during new moon for astrophotography, which is my favorite.Image is from Sequoia NP last summer.Now the fun begins linning up all the water taxi, ferry times to make this work. Can not wait
IMG_1751fin2.jpg
IMG_1751fin2.jpg (159.27 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: June Trip

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Sounds like a blast and a unique way to visit the island. What is your backup plan if the weather is bad (delays with taxis and ferrys..)?
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

No real backup plan, just will hunker down were ever I am at. I have seldom run into weather problems that time of the year, but am always aware #$%^ happens, I have run into problems over the years of Voyageur breaking down, not a lot but it has happened. A big concern is cloudy nights, with Milky Way out only for about 1 1/2 hours of prime viewing that could be an issue.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

On my last trip I was hoping for some opportunities for night photography. I was somewhat dismayed by the light pollution to the north caused by Thunder Bay. It was enhanced by reflection from high cloud cover even though the south sky was clear. Maybe if the entire sky had been clear things would have been better. Good luck to you regarding the weather and we're looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Crescent Meadow? An unbelievable shot, wherever it is.
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

Thanks , this was up by Mitchel Peak. Thunder Bay should not be a problem with the heart or Galactic Center of Milky Way in the SE-S direction, although the loom of light from Las Vegas at over 100 miles in photo from Death Valley worked in this panorama.
milky0895finish1.jpg