First time to IR, looking for trip tips out of rock Harbour

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

First time to IR, looking for trip tips out of rock Harbour

Post by Browninggold9_72 »

Good morning all,
My wife and I are planning our first trip to IR the first week of July. We are doing a 6 day trip. Where can I find the trip planner worksheet? I am experienced but this will be my wife's first major backpacking trip. I'm looking for suggestions on sites to see or an itinerary so to speak. Thank you in advance for any and all help.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: First time to IR, looking for trip tips out of rock Harbour

Post by thesneakymonkey »

What sort of mileage were you looking to do (daily?). I would be happy to help anyway I can. My husband and I completed a six day trip out of rock harbor last summer. You can find our video series here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xejNOfY ... tPyHB1ymtF. We really loved the island so much so that we are going back for a 10 day trip this summer. The trip planner sheet is on the "trails and campsites" threads and it is stickied near the top. That is a very useful tool. I also really like using the Nat Geo Isle royale map (we got ours off amazon) and the latest edition of the greenstone newspaper (found here: https://www.nps.gov/isro/greenstone-newspaper.htm).

For reference we did this route:
RH-3M-MB-MCC-DF-RH
We also took the RANGER III ferry in and out of RH

Have fun planning!
Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

I would say 6-8 miles a day as it is my wife's first major trip. Thank you for the response and help!
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

With 6 days you can do most any section of trail. It really depends on where you are coming from and where you are arriving on the island?? If you can get to Windigo, the first trip that I usually recommend for first time hikers is the Feldtmann Loop. It makes for a relaxing and great hike to experience the island and backpacking for the first time.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

You may like our route above then. The mileage is close to what you are looking for. You maybe would like WCB vs MCC for a shorter mileage day though. Although MCC is a special place, great dock and nice views.
Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

MikeT wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:51 am With 6 days you can do most any section of trail. It really depends on where you are coming from and where you are arriving on the island?? If you can get to Windigo, the first trip that I usually recommend for first time hikers is the Feldtmann Loop. It makes for a relaxing and great hike to experience the island and backpacking for the first time.
Thanks MikeT. We will be arriving in rock harbour
Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

thesneakymonkey wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:59 am You may like our route above then. The mileage is close to what you are looking for. You maybe would like WCB vs MCC for a shorter mileage day though. Although MCC is a special place, great dock and nice views.
Thanks for the input, I'm gonna watch the video attachment you sent, when my wife gets home!
Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

Probably gonna laugh at me sneakymonkey lol...but what is the WCB and MCC😀😀
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Browninggold9_72 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 pm Probably gonna laugh at me sneakymonkey lol...but what is the WCB and MCC😀😀
haha! Sorry that is my fault! I shouldnt abbreviate! It is just the campground names!

RH- rock harbor
3M- three mile
MB- Moskey Basin
MCC- McCargoe Cove
DF- Daisy Farm
WCB- West Chicken Bone
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

If you can swing the water taxi, you have more options with less mileage. Here's a couple ideas off the top of my head:

This hits the trifecta of favorite campgrounds (Moskey, Chippewa, McCargoe):
- McCargoe Cove, water taxi
- Lake Richie, 6.3 mi
- Chippewa Harbor, 4.3 mi
- Moskey Basin, 6.2 mi
- Three Mile, 8.3 mi
- Rock Harbor, 2.9 mi

This gives you a layover day, and Lane Cove, another favorite:
- Moskey Basin, 8.6 mi
- Daisy Farm, 3.9 mi
- Lane Cove, 6.9 mi
- Rock Harbor, 7 mi

Here's the water taxi page: http://www.rockharborlodge.com/water-taxi
You definitely need reservations.
Looks like McCargoe is the most expensive place to start (Murphy's Law), but you could also start from Chippewa and do something with that.

Skeeters and black flies have the potential to be bad that week, so be prepared. Typically the campgrounds on Lake Superior aren't as bad.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

Ingo..thanks for the ideas, I'm gonna look into the water taxi, and look at that route on a map.
Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

thesneakymonkey wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:49 pm
Browninggold9_72 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 pm Probably gonna laugh at me sneakymonkey lol...but what is the WCB and MCC😀😀
haha! Sorry that is my fault! I shouldnt abbreviate! It is just the campground names!

RH- rock harbor
3M- three mile
MB- Moskey Basin
MCC- McCargoe Cove
DF- Daisy Farm
WCB- West Chicken Bone
Lol..no worries..my wife and I had a chance to watch turn videos, very nice.. couple questions, what is the name of the sleeping mats you guys use. They look alot more comfy then the ones we have lol..and the trail map you were using, where can I find that??
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Here’s the map: https://www.amazon.com/Royale-National- ... 1566953677

We use exped synmat UL7s for our sleeping pads. We are both side sleepers and these keep our hips off the ground.

Thanks for watching our videos :oops: ! Hopefully they were helpful.
Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

Ingo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:22 pm If you can swing the water taxi, you have more options with less mileage. Here's a couple ideas off the top of my head:

This hits the trifecta of favorite campgrounds (Moskey, Chippewa, McCargoe):
- Lake Richie, 6.3 mi
- Chippewa Harbor, 4.3 mi
- Moskey Basin, 6.2 mi
- Three Mile, 8.3 mi
- Rock Harbor, 2.9 mi

This gives you a layover day, and Lane Cove, another favorite:
- Moskey Basin, 8.6 mi
- Daisy Farm, 3.9 mi
- Lane Cove, 6.9 mi
- Rock Harbor, 7 mi

Here's the water taxi page: http://www.rockharborlodge.com/water-taxi
You definitely need reservations.
Looks like McCargoe is the most expensive place to start (Murphy's Law), but you could also start from Chippewa and do something with that.

Skeeters and black flies have the potential to be bad that week, so be prepared. Typically the campgrounds on Lake Superior aren't as bad.
Thank you for the information..I'm gonna check your route on the map tonight. In your opinion, what are the pros and cons between the ranger and the queen?
Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

thesneakymonkey wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:08 pm Here’s the map: https://www.amazon.com/Royale-National- ... 1566953677

We use exped synmat UL7s for our sleeping pads. We are both side sleepers and these keep our hips off the ground.

Thanks for watching our videos :oops: ! Hopefully they were helpful.
Yes your videos were helpful. You guys took the ranger to the island, in your opinion, what are the pros and cons between the ranger and the queen??