Feldtman loop mid May

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Stephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Feldtman loop mid May

Post by Stephen »

Planning on the Feldtmann loop clock wise mid May, then head to Huginnin then back to Windigo. Two years ago I went from Windigo to Feldtmann to Sisikwit then eventually Rock Harbor. This year I thought a shorter trip but put a off day in there. I realize the low hanging brush issues and dead fall, but my concern relates to the beavers making in very hard to get to Sisikwit on the trail. I had problems loosing the trail before, near Sisikwit, but after going to Lane Cove last year and seeing how the high the water had covered the previous bridge, thought maybe this could be a concern this year near Sisikwit. I can always go to Plan B whatever that will be.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Feldtman loop mid May

Post by IncaRoads »

A Feldtmann loop mid-May trek would be nice as the vegetation has not had a chance to impinge upon the trail.

I had similar problems with beavers creating high water conditions while going out to Malone Bay in September 2017. The bridge at the west end of Lake Siskiwit was not passable. One side of the bridge was floating as it was not attached to the piers. Had to do a precarious scramble along the top of the nearby beaver dam to pass.

Edited: Corrected errors in describing location of aforementioned bridge.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I did it last year the week after Memorial Day. The lower trail from Island Mine to Siskiwit Bay was very wet, with water over the boot tops a couple times--gaiters saved my feet. And trekking poles kept me vertical. Going around the bay there was lots of beaver activity, flooded trails and boardwalks, sending me to the beach at times. A few steps in the lake to get around bushes at places. Again, very thankful I had both gaiters and poles. But certainly doable, and nothing that would make me change my plans. The ranger alerted me to that it was flooded and wet when I got my permit--which made me worry more than I needed to. I would plan on wet feet and bring extra socks, though.

But the vegetation was clear of the trail--I had to push through some high brush in a couple places near the fire tower, but that was about it. The trail crew had recently cleared the winter dead fall, so I didn't have to deal with that. And for what it's worth, I enjoyed Island Mine, although I can see how it would feel more closed in later in the season.

Inca, do you mean the large metal bridge over the Big Siskiwit River near the campground? Or one of the smaller ones? The smaller ones I crossed at the lake.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Ingo, the bridge in question was at Siskiwit Lake and not over the Big Siskiwit River. Sorry for the confusion. See corrected post above.
Stephen
NewbieCake

Post by Stephen »

Thanks for the Sisiwkit trail water conditions. I guess its longer gaiters for me and my home built Tyvek shoe covers which shed water from the top of my boots. If I hit deeper water then off comes the boots and wear my camp shoes.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

They say a picture's worth a thousand words... Here's a trail video from my trip last year, made with my phone, not great quality. The worst stretch between Island Mine and Siskiwit is from 1:10 to 2:10 showing some of the flooded trails: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjwwBjPvOME&t=310s
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Stephen
NewbieCake

Post by Stephen »

Thanking you for sharing the video, it was very helpful and great to see. I recognized a lot of those areas from my 2016 trip. Thanks again
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

I forgot about Lane Cove! It was starting to get submerged on my trip in 2016. The two ends were under about an inch or two of water. I heard last year most of the boardwalk was submerged in up to 3-4 inches. Wonder if they plan on redirecting the trail.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Wolves will likely put a dent in the Beaver population and some of this flooding will go away along with the beavers.
FF7Cid
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by FF7Cid »

I'll be doing that loop as well around memorial day, please report how the trail looks if you get back before then!