Boat options from Grand Portage to Rock Harbor

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

MooseFan
NewbieCake

Boat options from Grand Portage to Rock Harbor

Post by MooseFan »

Our first trip to Isle Royale will be Aug 23rd and are staying at one of the cabins at Rock Harbor. There are four of us coming from the Duluth MN area and are wondering if there are options other than the Voyageur II to get there. Are there boats available for round trip hire in Grand Portage? One traveler may be prone to getting sick/anxious so the boat shouldn't be too small :wink: Any suggestions? Thank you!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Boat options from Grand Portage to Rock Harbor

Post by IncaRoads »

Not aware of any private boat charters in the Grand Portage MN area. You may want to consider travel from the Michigan side as the travel times to Rock Harbor are shorter. The Ranger III out of Houghton MI is the largest boat and typically provides the smoothest ride.

Link to NPS website on transportation options---> https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/directions.htm
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Hmmm, Aug 23rd is a Thurs and the Voyageur II goes out on Mon, Weds, and Sat. I agree with IncaRoads on the Ranger III, but it goes out on Tues & Fri. Which leaves the Queen IV out of Copper Harbor--larger and more comfortable than the VII and runs every day (in Aug)--also the quickest boat ride to RH. I'm not aware of any charter boats to IR either--would be a fishing charter boat if there is any.
The other option is the seaplane out of Grand Marais--but that may only be better for someone with a boat issue and not a more general motion sickness/small places issue. Shortest time, however.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MooseFan
NewbieCake

Post by MooseFan »

Thanks IncaRoads and Ingo. I was wondering about a fishing boat or something other than the Voyageur out of Grand Portage - if anyone has had luck with that. A 6 hour boat ride is too long for me. Otherwise we will consider the seaplane or a ferry from Copper Harbor.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

You can book a charter boat for a fishing expedition but I almost certainly doubt they are allowed to simply ferry you to/from Rock Harbor Lodge. Commercial enterprises are strictly controlled by the federal government (NPS and Coast Guard) and they are licenced for specific purposes. Plus it would far more expensive than the commercial ferries AND a far smaller boat.

The Isle Royale Seplane service now offers a route to/from both Windgo and Rock Harbor that originates in Grand Marais, Minnesota.

My suggestion is to drive the extra hour and 15 minutes to Copper Harbor for a fairly quick 3.5 hour ride on the Queen.

(Edited to add links)
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
MooseFan
NewbieCake

Post by MooseFan »

Good info Midwest Ed, thank you!