First time visiting - one night

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

epalmer
NewbieCake

First time visiting - one night

Post by epalmer »

Hello!

Glad I stumbled across this page. I am going to Isle Royale in late August - taking the ferry from Copper Harbor and staying in Rock Harbor Lodge, then coming back the next day on the ferry. I'm traveling with my boyfriend; we are in our mid twenties and we both enjoy hiking! Backpacking would've been awesome, but we are flying up north from Virginia and camping is too challenging when you have to pack for a plane ride. So the lodge it is! From what I've read online, I think my best bet would be to take a water taxi to Daisy Farm and hike back to Rock Harbor Lodge. I'd probably do this shortly after arriving at Rock Harbor. Assuming this is 5-6 hour hike, I am unsure if we'd make it back by dinnertime at the lodge. I am thinking we may need to bring a cooler with sandwiches to eat in the room. Also, I also heard the shorter hike to Scoville Point is great as well. I am hoping to do this the following morning (before the ferry leaves at 2:45p). Hopefully we can leave some of our belongings at the lodge while we hike.

I am just wondering if this is realistic! And if anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it! :D

Thanks!
Ellen
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: First time visiting - one night

Post by Midwest Ed »

Welcome to the forums. Even with just one night at the Lodge you can have a great experience. If you haven't already inquired about your room assignment, there are two possibilities, 1st or 2nd floor. The 1st floor rooms have an outdoor deck with patio chairs facing the Lake. The 2nd floor rooms also face the Lake but while there is no outdoor deck, there is a large picture window. I much preferred the deck with coffee in the morning.

Other options for the first afternoon would be a trip to Hidden Lake, either by water taxi or by canoe. A half day canoe rental is included in the Lodge accommodation, weather permitting (wind and waves, etc. but Tobin Harbor is quite well protected). It only a 1 mile hike up to Lookout Louise on the Greenstone Ridge but many people staying at the Lodge opt to walk back (obviously not a choice if canoeing as you could not leave your canoe at Hidden Lake). It's about a 10.5 mile return hike I think. While the elevation changes will be greater than the 8.5 miles from Daisy Farm, the actual step by step leg exercise might not be quite as strenuous on the return from Hidden Lake. Either way, with just a day pack with water, a snack, camera, some rain gear and bug protection (repellent and maybe even a head net), either trek should not be bad. In late August, the Black Flies will be non-existent and the mosquitoes not bad until dusk but if you are sensitive, a head net is lightweight, cheap insurance. The The Hidden Lake/Greenstone route will provide a greater variety of scenery than the Daisy Farm route. With either choice, take the Tobin Harbor trail out of Three Mile campground on the last 3 miles. It is much easier on the legs than the Rock Harbor trail. If you are opting for a water taxi, I suggest you make reservations ahead of time (it wouldn't hurt to do the same for the canoe choice).

For dinner at the restaurant I recommend the Lake Trout if they have it although the more prevalent Whitefish should be good too. If you're late for full dinner (7:30?) there is also a grill open til 10 pm (I think?, but check on it as I could not find a closing time on the menu). They serve pizza, beer, burgers, sandwiches (and pasties I think) and ice cream.

The Stoll trail to Scoville Point is also very nice. The trail is actually a bit of a figure 8 so you can go out along Rock Harbor Channel and return along Tobin Harbor (or vice versa)

The Lodge looks after your "luggage" from and to the ferry dock so there should not be any issues with your extra belongings after you check out.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
epalmer
NewbieCake

Post by epalmer »

Thanks so much for your response! I requested a room with a deck back when I booked it in May! Glad to know it's worth it.
I had heard that Mt. Ojibway and the Rock Harbor lighthouse were worth seeing, which is why I was planning to go that way. If I am looking at the map correctly, if we did the Hidden Lake route, we'd go past Mt. Franklin, and then down to Suzy's Cave to get back to Rock Harbor Lodge? That looks great as well.

I also originally thought it might be neat to take the water taxi through Rock Harbor, past the lighthouse and the islands there before hiking up from Daisy Farm to the ridge. But if you think the views and such are better doing the Hidden Lake/Lookout Louise route, I definitely will! Also, the taxi there would be significantly cheaper.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

A couple more thoughts:
- I think the Scollville Pt loop (4 miles) is the best hike on the island, so would do that for sure. It's a flat easy hike, but allow time to explore along the shore and just hang out on the rocks when you get there.
- Instead of the water taxi to Daisy Farm, consider doing the hike to Mt Franklin from Rock Harbor. It's about the same distance, and you get more variety with the views from the ridge. I'd take the Rock Harbor trail to Three Mile, up and back to Mt Franklin, then the Tobin Harbor trail back--it's less rocky and easier to make time if you need to. It's free and doesn't involve any logistics :). It also has the advantage of being able to cut it short if the weather's lousy or you're short on time--just the loop to Three Mile and back would give you a similar experience as Daisy to RH.
- The lodge FAQs say both the grill and restaurant close at 7:30pm, but I too thought the grill was open later--maybe with a limited menu. So check that when you get there. Also, if it's busy they may stay open later, or close a little early if it's slow--it's that kind of place.
- The lodge will hold your bags for you.
- If you're not settled on a longer hike (and like boat rides), check out the lodge tours. They vary by the day of the week, but you could do an afternoon one when you get there, or a morning one before you leave. They're all interesting and not all that touristy (in a stereotypical sense). Passage Island was fascinating to me.
Have a great, if short, trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo offers some good alternatives (and less expensive too). I assumed your original plan was to take the shortest route from Daisy Farm back to Rock Harbor, but it sounds like you were planning to take the longer route up to Mt. Ojibway then over to Mt. Franklin. Actually, this is only about 1 mile longer than staying along the shore route, and much more scenic. The panoramic views between Mt's Ojibway and Franklin are IMO the best on the Island (unless it's foggy of course).

Ingo's plan of trekking up to Mt. Franklin and back has the obvious advantage as he stated of being able to begin your return at will and you probably get to see some good parts of the Greenstone Ridge. Plus if you make good time you can always continue along the Greenstone Ridge towards Mt. Ojibway for awhile.

Also, I don't think you'll be able to talk the water taxi operator into a pass by the lighthouse. Although he might take a "bribe".
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
epalmer
NewbieCake

Post by epalmer »

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I'll definitely do the Scoville Hike, probably the day that we leave the island. Then I just need to decide between a longer hike to the ridge or canoeing to Lookout Louise across Tobin Harbor, as I probably won't have time for both. I didn't realize a canoe came with the reservation and that would be nice.

All of the 7-10 mile hikes discussed sound great so if I go with that, I'll have to pick one! I am not opposed to taking a water taxi, especially the shorter distance, if that allows me more time on different parts of the island. It's a short trip & I don't know if/when I'll be back.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

epalmer wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:08 am It's a short trip & I don't know if/when I'll be back.
I'm guessing you'll be back or at least will always have the itch to return.
epalmer
NewbieCake

Post by epalmer »

I know - you're probably right!

I am thinking it's too ambitious to try and go up to Mt. Franklin, so I will likely do the Scoville Hike the day I get there and the canoe/mini hike to Lookout Louise the next morning before the 2:45p ferry. It's no fun to feel rushed.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

epalmer wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:05 am... so I will likely do the Scoville Hike the day I get there and the canoe/mini hike to Lookout Louise the next morning before the 2:45p ferry. It's no fun to feel rushed.
Especially on IR :).

Also, the lodge transports all your gear between the boat and your room, so if you like to bring a cooler and food it's no big deal. Although no real need to do so on that schedule.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH