Todd Harbor questions

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Todd Harbor questions

Post by philranger »

I know this has been asked before, but I can’t find it.

At Todd Harbor, where is the waterfall? Is it off the trail or along the beach? How far away is it from the shelter?

How far past the group campsites are the large rocks I have read about?

And a bonus question dealing with the Feldtmann Lake trail. I remember there was a beautiful overlook of Washington Harbor. How far is this from where the trail stops following the Harbor and heads up hill?
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Todd Harbor questions

Post by Ingo »

(1) The waterfall is west of the campground on the shore. Maybe 1/8 to 1/4 mile? Saw it from a ranger boat, didn't hike out there.
(2) Rocks are just past the group site on the lake (#1 I think). Not sure if that's what you mean, but there are large rocks there :D .
(3) At the top of the hill. 1/2 mile? Last year the view wasn't as good as I remembered. Maybe it's more overgrown, or maybe I was just more tired.
Hopefully someone else has more descriptive intel 8) .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

1.) As Ingo notes, go West, young man. Unless it's changed, the campsite map should show Haytown mine, and there is a spur trail, maybe .2mi, that goes that way. Then go past the mine. The trail isn't maintained, and might get sketchy, but if the water is flowing you'll probably hear it soon enough.

2.) Huh. I guess I never knew of rocks of unusual size out there. :o I'll have to check! Best group sites on the Island, though. Actually some of the top tent sites, period.

3.) Grace Overlook, as it's called, is a 45min hike from Windigo at my normal (2.3mph) hiking pace. From that note in my journal, I'd have to guess that it's .25-.35 miles.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Thank you both for your responses. Looking forward to exploring Todd Harbor again and trying to find these landmarks.

I remember marveling at the view from “Grace Overlook” when we came from Feldtmann Lake back to Windigo.

We headed back there in 2014 on a side hiked from Windigo. I guess we didn’t go far enough. We’ll keep going this trip.

Thx
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I love Todd Harbor. It's my favorite campground, but then I'm a sunset person rather than a sunrise one (I sleep through most all sunrises). Hopefully you'll be treated to a good one.

Very recent trip report with pictures and description of water fall etal. Jump to days 6/18-6/19.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

philranger wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 pm I know this has been asked before, but I can’t find it.
And a bonus question dealing with the Feldtmann Lake trail. I remember there was a beautiful overlook of Washington Harbor. How far is this from where the trail stops following the Harbor and heads up hill?
Here is a previous post about Grace Creek overlook:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1327&p=8339#p8339

If you have the Jim DuFresne trail guide fourth edition, he address the distances fairly well on page 99 of the book.
You take a spur trail to the rock outcropping.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne