Minong and water conditions

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

wisconsinjake
NewbieCake

Minong and water conditions

Post by wisconsinjake »

Hi-
I've done the greater parts of the trails on Isle Royale, but am yet to set foot on the Minong. I've read- and heard- it can be wet, buggy, and ever-changing as a result of weather and beaver. I'm hoping my arrival in Mid-September takes care of the bugs. Otherwise, my itinerary is aggressive (I pack light and rise early):
Windigo- Siskewit via Feldman Ridge: 18.7
Siskewit-Hatchet: 17.3
Hatchet-Moskey: 14.4
Moskey-McCargo: 14.1
McCargo-Little Todd:13.3
Little Todd- Washington Creek: 17.0
Just checking if anyone has been on and noted the trail and water conditions along the Minong. It's reputation is intimidating, and while I don't hesitate on a good physical challenge, I don't want to over-estimate my abilities (or miss my plane). My ego is not an issue, and any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Much
Jake
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Minong and water conditions

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Little todd to Washington creek will be quite a day! We were recently on the minong. We post all our hiking vids on our channel. You can find the links below. The section from Little todd to Washington will be in parts 6&7 (on trip#2) but we have the entire minong on the series if you wish to watch. We were just there 2.5 weeks ago so it is a recent video showing the conditions. Make sure you make it to the beaver dams before dark.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Better you than me! Your itinerary is certainly challenging but you know what you are capable of and enjoy, so enjoy!

The only caution I would offer is to leave a layover day, or at least a potential layover day, in your schedule on the Minong part of the trip. One, it will be challenging and you may not want to kill yourself. Two, if it rains, your main stretch on the Minong is very slippery. (I fell three times in one day.) If you end up not needing the layover day, you can always spend the night at Hugginin.
wisconsinjake
NewbieCake

Post by wisconsinjake »

Watched the video, and had flashbacks of my wife and I following a beaver trail two years ago. We will definitely be trying to put on some good time and enjoy our surroundings as we go. We may reverse our course so we have more "bailout" options as the trip comes to an end... maybe spend an extra day at Moskey instead of putting on another 14 miles- only our feet know that future.
Montana
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Montana »

We hiked from N. Lake Desor to Washington Creek with 3 liters each. There are a couple of small creeks between Desor and WC that would work for water (don't know how heavy they will be flowing in Sept). You could always drop your packs at the Lake Desor junction and filter at the lake before you hike the rest of the way to Washington Creek.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

It’s more miles then I would want to go in a day for sure! But you know yourself better than I do. Those beavers are quite a mennice.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

I will not comment on the itinerary as I really cannot fathom attempting it. I would cut out some sections and allow myself more time to enjoy it, but you have been to the island and know what it is like, know your body and what you enjoy. If you had not been to the island, I would say more on the itinerary.
As far as water goes from Little Todd to Washington; beside the stream near Little Todd, the next available non-swamp water is Lake Desor. You could drop your pack at the post and walk in to fill up. From the North Desor post, there is a reliable source of water about 6 miles down the trail. I have stayed in this area a couple of times and it has always been flowing well. Have a great trip!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
wisconsinjake
NewbieCake

Post by wisconsinjake »

Thanks Mike and Montana- as we've evaluated our itinerary, we may reverse the route dependent on weather and is appealing with more potential "bailouts" on the back end. I'll be sure to take a few picks and let everyone know how it goes!