Electronics

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Electronics

Post by Ingo »

Kinda lamenting the fact I picked up an inReach Mini satellite communication device for my canoe trip next week. I used to do these trips with zero electronics. Then got a VHF for paddling. Now will be carrying the VHF, the sat com, a go pro knockoff, and my phone to view/control the camera and sat com. Oh, and the battery brick, of course. But ironically, I suppose that modern technology "allows" me in a sense to keep doing these trips to escape modern technology. As we get older it seems my wife worries about me more (not without some reason), and I worry more about her worrying more... so here we are :roll: .

My intent is to just use the inReach for 1-way location updates and check-ins. It also gets the weather, but looks pretty basic without paying more, and we'll have the VHF. Curious to see how the battery life is--supposedly can last up to 20 days with how I intend to use it, but decided to bring back up until I know from experience.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Electronics

Post by johnhens »

What model Inreach do you have? Look forward to the video!! Where are you going?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I got the Mini. It's small and a little cumbersome to navigate, but I don't want to do too much, so that's OK. Apparently will get marine forecasts, so interested to try that out, but you have to be somewhere that has a marine forecast, so can't try it yet.

McCargoe to Caribou (VII at Daisy Farm) is the plan. But will start at Belle Isle if the lake insists. So far, Mon or Tues look promising.

Rigged a pole to attach the camera to the canoe. Will see how that works. Hoping for a little, but not too exciting clip around Blake. But if we have to portage, there won't be a video!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Ingo, a quick tip from experience... my first canoe trip filming in a canoe with a running camera I used a pole mounted behind me and the footage was not good because it magnifies all of the movement of the canoe being that it is vertical and the pole "swings" more than the canoe. I determined that the only way to do that is with a gyro thingy (I cannot think of the name, but they use it to keep the camera level with movements) which is too expensive and heavy. I have found my best footage is on my head, but it is uncomfortable and you have to remember it is there constantly or you get shots of you turning quickly to look here and there. A front mount works well, but you lose some depth of field. For instance, waves look smaller than they actually are. I have had pretty good luck with a clamp tripod mounted to the center crossbar mounted towards one side, but you have to watch paddle splash and the same angle can become boring. I have determined the best way is multiple cameras mounted in all of these ways (except on a stick) with occasional hand-held shots. I have done this on the last few trips, but the problem then becomes, having time to cut and edit these all together to form a full video. Maybe when I am too old to go I will get to edit the hours of footage together.
To sum this up, I would not recommend using the pole and use any other mount for better footage.

Also, I know this is too late for this trip, but look at Goal Zero products for solar panels and chargers.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. I'll try it a few different ways. I did wonder how the motion might be up on a pole. The truck's all packed up to hit the road in the morning, but I may try to see if I can grab a headband for it along the way. Beyond that, just decided I'd try and play a little this trip, so am not too worried if nothing turns out great.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

I meant to add this at the end... HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I have an older InReach Explorer. The battery life is as advertised. I think they achieve the long life due to the very small screen but I still turn it off when I'm not moving. Once in a while turning it off and on can make for some weird looking tracks on their website map where you appear to make a big jump. It's the small screen that makes map navigation or orienteering with the unit alone almost unusable. Paired over Bluetooth with a smartphone that has lots of memory for maps, it does make a really good navigation system, but of course you need to download the desired maps ahead of time before you leave sight of your cell provider or WiFi and keep your phone charged (putting the phone in airplane mode except for Bluetooth will really help).

Still, I love it for what it does very well, satellite two-way text communication and the insurance of sending the SOS as well as plotting tracking points. But as you say, one real benefit is for those back home. Did you setup your MapShare page? Anyone with the account name and PW can track you. I've never used the weather forecast features. Take note they charge $1 for every request you make for the premium or marine forecast.

If you can, take note of the satellite connection reliability under a very heavy canopy. Mine does not work at all inside the house and some heavily wooded regions caused minor intermittent troubles.

Also, even though you are probably only getting 10 minute interval tracking points, once you connect it to your computer you can get plot intervals with better accuracy.

Have a good trip. I hope I didn't miss you with the post.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I intend to escape from technology on these trips, too. It's hard for me as a millennial, and it seems like the only chance my neck and wrists get from the positions they are in when I use computers and phones. However, my phone and GoPro always tag along with me. I think of it this way: my phone is now my camera, GPS, and emergency messaging device, all in one. Now I don't carry three big devices when one small device suffices.

As far as a battery pack, I recently picked up a GoalZero Nomad 15 solar panel, and wow. It works great if you have a fast-charging device and cable (I have a Google Pixel with a USB C cable). The solar panel is small and lightweight. It's very impressive.
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

I just ordered one since I'll be on the island solo for 15 days. Look forward to seeing how well the battery keeps with very limited daily use. You're gone by now but hope you have a good trip!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Midwest Ed wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:56 pm Still, I love it for what it does very well, satellite two-way text communication and the insurance of sending the SOS as well as plotting tracking points. But as you say, one real benefit is for those back home. Did you setup your MapShare page?
Exactly, and really all I want it for, hence the Mini. Have brought my GPS twice and never used it, so leave it at home. Seems I usually know where I'm at :) (or don't care). And Yup, set up MapShare.
Have a good trip. I hope I didn't miss you with the post.
Thanks! Got 1/2 way there today (750 miles). Duluth tomorrow, G.P. Sunday, and I.R. Monday :).
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Tortuga wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:40 pm I just ordered one since I'll be on the island solo for 15 days. Look forward to seeing how well the battery keeps with very limited daily use. You're gone by now but hope you have a good trip!
Thanks, and I will report!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

fonixmunkee wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:15 pm I intend to escape from technology on these trips, too. It's hard for me as a millennial, and it seems like the only chance my neck and wrists get from the positions they are in when I use computers and phones. However, my phone and GoPro always tag along with me. I think of it this way: my phone is now my camera, GPS, and emergency messaging device, all in one. Now I don't carry three big devices when one small device suffices.

As far as a battery pack, I recently picked up a GoalZero Nomad 15 solar panel, and wow. It works great if you have a fast-charging device and cable (I have a Google Pixel with a USB C cable). The solar panel is small and lightweight. It's very impressive.
Yeah I'm figuring out I want/need to bring on these trips. Nice thing about canoeing is that another pound isn't a back breaker. Heck, got 8 lbs in camera gear :shock: . Sounds like I really need to check out the GoalZero though if I decide I want to loose battery weight in the future, or for backpacking.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

fonixmunkee wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:15 pmI think of it this way: my phone is now my camera, GPS, and emergency messaging device, all in one. Now I don't carry three big devices when one small device suffices.
And don't forget about being able to lose the wrist watch. I haven't worn a watch since the advent of cell phones.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:04 pmHave brought my GPS twice and never used it, so leave it at home. Seems I usually know where I'm at :) (or don't care).
I bought my InReach since I wander around the UP almost every summer, mostly in my pickup, soon to be adding an ATV and travel trailer to the mix. I've already been places along logging roads where any sort of breakdown would result in, best case, a walkout of 30 or 40 miles. I joke that having a 4x4 pickup or ATV simply means that you're going to have to walk a lot further when you finally do get stuck. :oops:
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

It started with a cheap little solar/hand crank weather radio so I could get an idea of what was coming. Then I bought a small handheld 2M/70cm radio for weather. Then I got my tech license so I could legally talk outside of emergencies (KD9KIH if there are other amateur radio guys on here). Now I'm thinking about a mini so my wife can get the two letter text "OK" every evening. I really think I'm going the wrong way with all this stuff.