September weather

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Hoffdaddy
NewbieCake

September weather

Post by Hoffdaddy »

Heading to Isle Royale September 11-15. Wondering what to expect for weather. First time trip so any advice on the trip is appreciated as well.
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: September weather

Post by Tortuga »

I'm heading over Friday, and while weather forecasts can change very quickly it looks like it's going to be a very nice week. 50's/60's along the lake and warmer on the ridges. I have usually experienced a little rain every single day, usually at night.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Cooler days in the 60's make for great hiking weather, but it also could be much warmer. Nights can be a bit cold at times. The thing I notice most is the decreasing lack of daylight; sunrise 7:30 am and sunset 8:15 pm, Eastern Daylight Savings Time.

Link to summary of September 2017 weather on Isle Royale...
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/isle- ... view=table
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Many places around the country claim their weather is fast changing, but ask any informed meteorologist and they will tell you that weather patterns around the upper Great Lakes are some of the most unpredictable. I've found this to be true for the Lake Superior region. The approach of Autumn signals the beginning of the most volatile part of the season for an already volatile climate.

But that's what makes late Summer and Autumn so spectacular on the Lake. While weather delays are rare for the ferries, when they do come it's usually at the end of the season. My last trip, 5 years ago, the Queen cancelled on Labor Day. All the ferries work extra hard to make up the time and get back on schedule but be prepared that you might be stuck on the Island for an extra day. Especially since the stores will be closed it's not a bad idea to take a little extra food.

Regardless what the 10 day forecasts predict, it could still get into the mid 80s (especially on the ridges) and below freezing at night. An extra couple of layers of clothing is warranted and don't go without rain gear including rain pants or higher gators. But the cooler weather also means you shouldn't be bothered by bugs, certainly no flies but you still might experience an occasional mosquito, particularly if it turns warmer. Take your protection just in case. It's cheap insurance.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

I’m in Copper Harbor right now and it feels like fall is in the air. I haven’t see a biting bug yet. Hope it stays that way over the next 15 days on the island.