Fishing Kayaks on inland lakes

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Jhellis
NewbieCake

Fishing Kayaks on inland lakes

Post by Jhellis »

Hi all, new here. I searched for a specific answer before posting but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for, so here goes....

Can 'fishing kayaks' be reasonably safely used on inland lake routes?

My brother and I are considering a paddling trip on the isle, but not sure if our yaks are reasonable vesssels for the inland lakes. Specifically, we have a Wilderness Systems Commader 120 and a WS Tarpon 120. One is a hybrid canoe/yak that you sit down inside of and the other is a ride on top. Both are 12'.

It is clear these are totally unworthy of anything on Lake Superior, but what about the inland lakes? Or maybe only a specific inland lake route?

I'm not worried about portage difficulty or gear capacity, only lake worthiness.

Thank you!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Fishing Kayaks on inland lakes

Post by Midwest Ed »

Of course there is always the rare risk of very high straight line winds creating dangerous seas on even quite small bodies of water, but these types of events are extremely rare in this part of the country. Indeed there are frequent and fairly short thunderstorms but I'm speaking of tornado-like winds. It's only happened a couple of times in the past few decades based on my memory. These types of events would be dangerous no matter one's location, either on or off the water but they are also short lived.

In reality, the only inland lake that should cause potential concern is Siskiwit Lake, of course due to its size if there are sustained winds along it's length. If you are attempting to get to (or from) Malone Bay CG, you might be delayed by a day (or even two). Even getting from the Intermediate Lake portage trail head over to Wood Lake can get iffy. These circumstances can be true for most any canoe paddler as well. But I would not let those possibilities prevent scheduling a trip through that area. If I was scheduling a pickup (or dropoff) at Malone Bay, I would make sure to plan for some flexibility of an extra day or two in the total trip length. As a note, varying your pickup date is almost never an option. You might get lucky but never plan on it. The Voyageur only stops when there is a reservation and communicating a change to the ferry operator would be complicated or unreliable.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Jhellis
NewbieCake

Post by Jhellis »

Really appreciate the feedback. This helps in planning and understanding if existing equipment is suited for the trip or not.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

The bigger question is, have you ever portaged your kayaks before? Love my yaks, but use a canoe when I need to portage.
Jhellis
NewbieCake

Post by Jhellis »

I haven’t. I know I can shoulder it for a short time, but some of those longer portages are formidable. I would prefer a Kevlar canoe for the two of us, but not sure where to obtain one outside of purchase, which is not cheap. Having kayaks already were leaning towards that.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Jhellis wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:17 am I would prefer a Kevlar canoe for the two of us, but not sure where to obtain one outside of purchase, which is not cheap.
Beartrack Outfitters in Grand Marais, MN--on your way to the Voyageur.
Sylvania Outfitters in Watersmeet, MI--maybe or maybe not or could be on your way to Houghton/Copper Harbor.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I'd try to rent a Kevlar canoe at one of the places Ingo mentions. Just thinking about portaging my kayak when I responded yesterday caused me to wake up this morning with a sore neck and shoulders.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I have done a few trips with a good friend who has a Hobie. He has used it for both inland lakes and Superior (With good weather). He had the model you can pedal as well as using a sail rig (we sailed it on Siskiwit).