What interior lakes would you take in a packraft to fish on?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

teddy12b
NewbieCake

What interior lakes would you take in a packraft to fish on?

Post by teddy12b »

I'm debating on getting a packraft, and part of what I can see using it for would be to go back to the IR and spend some time at an interior lake just fishing out of the packraft and paddling around in general.

I like the idea of getting dropped off by boat, having a day hike into an interior lake, and then setup camp for a couple days of fishing and exploring. I'm not particular on what fish I catch, I just know I'd rather be catching than not catching.

I've been to the IR once before and the open water kayaking doesn't appeal to me anymore. If I do this it'll be casual paddling around on interior lakes hopefully picking up some dinner.

Any Suggestions?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: What interior lakes would you take in a packraft to fish on?

Post by Midwest Ed »

How much extra weight will the packraft add and what is your view towards portaging? From a financial standpoint is the water taxi an option for you or are you thinking of using the Voyageur II? ? There is a chart in the Greenstone newsletter that describes the various lengths and elevation changes of the standard portages. Your easiest path to get floating on an interior lake would be a drop off at Malone Bay. But from a weather/wind perspective Siskiwit Lake is the most unpredictable so it might take a day or two of waiting until you could get into Wood Lake or Intermediate Lake. A paddle through Whittlesey would offer an eventual pickup at Chippewa Harbor. Or pass through Lake Ritchie to Moskey Basin but the Voyaguer II does not go to Moskey Basin but the water taxi would be available. I've never fished Intermediate Lake but all the rest should prove fruitful, especially Lake Ritchie for northern pike. Make sure you take a weather radio and preferably a marine transceiver (with weather channels). Decent ones are about $100+. I've done this loop counterclockwise by canoe from Moskey to Siskiwit to Chippewa and it was my most enjoyable trip to The Island thus far.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
porter
NewbieCake

Post by porter »

I think a packraft is a great idea for interior lakes! They are super lightweight and compact to portage/hike with. Not as speedy as a canoe or small yak, but more efficient than a float tube. Just as good to fish from too.
What brands are you looking at?

Lake Richie has much shoreline to explore and many nice pike. You could get dropped at McCargoe, camp at Richie and leave from Chippewa.
Same goes for Chickenbone. Great pike and walleye in there. You could easily fish Livermore from that campground too.
I suppose the same goes for simply staying at Chippewa and fishing lake Mason (pike).
Or camp at McCargoe and fish/explore the cove thru Brady cove. Pike abound and trout will be in mccargoe depending on water clarity and temp.
Siskiwit lake would be a big exploration water body. Jig or troll for lakers, steelhead, big pike and numerous other fish species if you know where to look.
How about a day hike with just your packraft and fishing gear?
Camp at McCargoe and hike 2 miles west then drop down to otter lake and across a short strip of land to beaver lake. Perch should welcome you there. There are pike also. Between otter and beaver was open aspen forest that is fantastic for a shore lunch or dinner before it gets to dark to head back to the campground.
McDonald lake is closer to McCargoe but a little more bushwacking to it. Panfish there I have read.
Wood lake is a fantastic campground with paddle/portage from Chippewa or Malone. And Whittlesey is decent with walleye on the menu.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I've heard a few people doing a pack raft on Feldtmann Lake. There's walleye in there, I know. That's a long hike with a pack raft though.

Chickenbone is the closest for packing it in, and I don't think you'd be disappointed using it there, either.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

fonixmunkee wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:18 pmChickenbone is the closest for packing it in...
That portage has been listed as lengthened to 1.2 miles for the past few years. Is this still true? A drop off at Malone Bay gets one to inland lakes with a much shorter portage and then into other nice fishable lakes with shorter portages as well. Yes, there is maybe a remote chance of windy weather causing a short delay waiting for Siskiwit to settle down.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Midwest Ed wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:35 pm
fonixmunkee wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:18 pmChickenbone is the closest for packing it in...
That portage has been listed as lengthened to 1.2 miles for the past few years. Is this still true?
That is true. It starts at the dock now.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Second the recommendation on taking the Voyageur to either Malone or Chippewa Harbor. I have a Klepper folding kayak and have packed the boat into both Siskiwit Lake and Lake Whittlesey. Good success fishing in Siskiwit Lake, so-so in Lake Whittlesey. A folding kayak, or equivalent, is just the ticket for exploring inland lakes on Isle Royale.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

I have taken my Alpacka to ISRO on two occasions. It is possible (and safe) to paddle a packraft from Snug Harbor to Moskey Basin (about a 6 hour paddle in a packraft). From Moskey Basin you have access to Lake Ritchie and the other interior lakes. Lake Ritchie Canoe is a great campground, as is Wood Lake.

Lake Siskiewit and Lake Whittlesey are both good lakes to fish. Lake Siskiewit is much more open and subject to wind and waves, which will make fishing from a packraft more difficult. Lake Whittlesey is somewhat more protected. The portages between these two lakes are fairly easy, so you could set up camp on one and fish both.

Good luck!
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Anyone know anything about Sargent Lake? I have a 1959 park brochure that has the high-level, not-for-navigating map that shows a trail from McCargoe Cove (across from the dock on the opposite side) to Sargent, and apparently some outfitter used to keep canoes stashed over there for fishing clients. After 60 years the trail will be long gone, but on a topo map the route is pretty obvious as you climb from McCargoe, cross a saddle and descend down a ridge with swamp on both sides. On Google Earth there appears to be some open ridge around the saddle, that might make a reasonable campsite 1/4 mile back from the water's edge. Exploring Sargent with a xc-camping permit, a fishing rod and a packraft for a couple days might be fun.
teddy12b
NewbieCake

Post by teddy12b »

Since I'd originally posted this in January '19 I did end up buying an alpacaraft mule pack raft and I've been using it on the rivers near where I live. I'm still debating on how to get on the island for a quick fishing trip this spring.

I'd like to fly direct from Houghton to Malone Bay and either crash there for the night or press on into the inner lakes. I know they say only use lures and barbless hooks on the interior islands and it makes me wonder why. Is the fishing just that good on those interior islands that you have to bend the barbs back to make it sporting?

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken I think I can get all checked in at the Malone Ranger Station and go in from there right?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

You should double check with the sea plane service but I'm pretty sure they only offer service to Windigo and Rock Harbor (actually Tobin Harbor). I've seen evidence of sea planes landing in Siskiwit Bay near the SB campground and dock but that was a one time non-commercial event for the wolf re-population project. I don't think Malone Bay would even be sheltered enough to reliably offer a landing location.

I have never seen anything published by the National Park Service that specifically explains the barbless requirement. I do not think it has anything to do with sport but generally, a barbless hook is used/mandated so that there is less trauma or damage to the fish during the release process. Minimum size, maximum size, daily limits or personal eating habits would all affect releasing fish. One species of Brook Trout is ONLY catch and release.

Starting (or ending) a paddling trip at Malone Bay or even Chippewa Harbor sounds like a great plan just not completely via sea plane.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

But remember, Malone Bay is a flagstop for the Voyager ferry. Just have to allow the travel time to match her route. The first ferry is usually sometime around the second week of May.
teddy12b
NewbieCake

Post by teddy12b »

I'll definitely double check on the sea plane drop off. The whole ability to do this trip depends on being able to be dropped off at Malone Bay day 1. What I've got in mind is a 10 hour drive, getting on a plane, and then hopefully setting up camp at Malone for the night. I saw the barbless requirement on the yearly greenstone newsletter.

If/when I get back to the IR I don't want to use up my time on the ferry. It was fun the first time, but I'd rather take that puddle jumper and get on the trails if it's economic and realistic with the timeframe.
GHI
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by GHI »

teddy12b wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:33 pm Since I'd originally posted this in January '19 I did end up buying an alpacaraft mule pack raft and I've been using it on the rivers near where I live. I'm still debating on how to get on the island for a quick fishing trip this spring.

I'd like to fly direct from Houghton to Malone Bay and either crash there for the night or press on into the inner lakes. I know they say only use lures and barbless hooks on the interior islands and it makes me wonder why. Is the fishing just that good on those interior islands that you have to bend the barbs back to make it sporting?

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken I think I can get all checked in at the Malone Ranger Station and go in from there right?
What made you go with the Mule vs the ultralight series Scout or Caribou. What options did you get? I only have a few miles left to complete the island on foot. I'd like to experience it from a different view and a packraft is something I have been considering for this. That Scout only weighs about 3.25 lbs. Add a pound or two for related paddling gear. I'm totally good with that extra weight for the different experience.

I also have another trip in the works that I think a packraft will be a huge benefit to have with me. I just want to buy the right one the first time.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

teddy12b wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:17 am I'll definitely double check on the sea plane drop off. The whole ability to do this trip depends on being able to be dropped off at Malone Bay day 1. What I've got in mind is a 10 hour drive, getting on a plane, and then hopefully setting up camp at Malone for the night. I saw the barbless requirement on the yearly greenstone newsletter.

If/when I get back to the IR I don't want to use up my time on the ferry. It was fun the first time, but I'd rather take that puddle jumper and get on the trails if it's economic and realistic with the timeframe.
The seaplane does not go to Malone, only Rock Harbor and Windigo. The only option for getting to Malone on Day 1 would be to take the water taxi from R.H. to Malone. And both the plan and water taxi are more weather dependent than other forms of transportation.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH