What are you spending your dividend on? 2019 super special edition

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

What are you spending your dividend on? 2019 super special edition

Post by fonixmunkee »

REI dividend season is next month (mid-March). That sweet, sweet 20% coupon will soon follow. So...what is everyone who is an REI member going to spend their dividend on?

I haven't thought about it much, so I'm not sure what I'm going to buy. Last year, I bought some skiing gear...
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: What are you spending your dividend on? 2019 super special edition

Post by torpified »

1. the national parks annual pass, although maybe not in the 20% coupon window, since they start the pass ticking when you buy it, and it makes better sense to start it along with your first visit to a Nat'l Park after last year's pass expires.
https://www.rei.com/product/154691/amer ... s-20192020

2. One of these years I'm going to use the dividend to subsidize me a new tent. There's a 7 yr old Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 I've been using for my solo trips. Despite mild fraying, it's still got some life in it. Its fantasy successor will weightless, free-standing, monsoon and blackfly plague-proof---and have a side entrance. Any recommendations?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

torpified wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:49 am2. One of these years I'm going to use the dividend to subsidize me a new tent. There's a 7 yr old Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 I've been using for my solo trips. Despite mild fraying, it's still got some life in it. Its fantasy successor will weightless, free-standing, monsoon and blackfly plague-proof---and have a side entrance. Any recommendations?
I saw a portable force field dome that debuted on an episode of Start Trek. It looked like it would even protect you from falling trees. The portable fusion reactor power supply weighed 4 pounds though, so maybe it's a wash.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

torpified wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:49 am 2. One of these years I'm going to use the dividend to subsidize me a new tent. There's a 7 yr old Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 I've been using for my solo trips. Despite mild fraying, it's still got some life in it. Its fantasy successor will weightless, free-standing, monsoon and blackfly plague-proof---and have a side entrance. Any recommendations?
While it's just the natural successor and still has the rear entrance, I laughed when I saw how many disclaimers they put on the new carbon model (coming soon) as far as "it's light, but maybe not so durable." - https://www.rei.com/product/150043/big- ... arbon-tent

Since last year I went bigger and used my 20% on a BA Flying Diamond 6 (Not an IR tent, but great for car camping and hunting..) I think this year I may just go small and simple. A new campsite water bag like a MSR Dromedary might find it's way home.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

There is nothing specific I have in mind which means a trip to REI and impulse buy.
torpified
IR Expert

Post by torpified »

Midwest Ed wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 pm
I saw a portable force field dome that debuted on an episode of Start Trek. It looked like it would even protect you from falling trees. The portable fusion reactor power supply weighed 4 pounds though, so maybe it's a wash.
As sweet as that sounds, 4 pounds is twice my present shelter weight. If I had the power to make gear out of materials depicted on the tv of my youth, I'd got straight for upsidaisium, the gravity-defying metal figuring in the opening episodes of the "Rocky and Bullwinkle Show."
torpified
IR Expert

Post by torpified »

Tom wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:12 pm

While it's just the natural successor and still has the rear entrance, I laughed when I saw how many disclaimers they put on the new carbon model (coming soon) as far as "it's light, but maybe not so durable." - https://www.rei.com/product/150043/big- ... arbon-tent

I saw that too, and made a note to stop my future self if she ever starting thinking it would be rational purchase!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Not much of a dividend for me this year. But REI is just about to open its first store in West Michigan, and it's awfully close to my house. I foresee huge dividends (and smaller bank accounts) in my future.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Probably a ProLite Plus wide (25") sleeping pad. I need another wider one for canoe trips when guests don't have their own. Won't cost much after 20% and dividend.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

My dividend was $7.17. So not much (I say, which never happens).
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

I route all of my bills and expenditures through my card... I think I have one of everything from that store for free. Two years ago I fell in love with the LUCI lights. I'm getting the USB recharger version to recharge my Kindle this time. I took four pounds of books last time and still ran out of material. I need a new rain jacket too.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I hate that REI doesn't do the 20% off any one item at the same time as the dividend anymore :( . Just got an email for a different promotion, so I know I'll have to wait at least until that one expires.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Probably just a new pair of hiking pants and cashing the rest out. I finally found pants that I love and I want a second pair before they discontinue them!
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Ingo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 am I hate that REI doesn't do the 20% off any one item at the same time as the dividend anymore :( . Just got an email for a different promotion, so I know I'll have to wait at least until that one expires.
They will do it the end of the month. So I was told.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

New sleeping mat, lighter and warmer than what I have had. Neo XTherm.