Fishing questions; first time IR

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Fishing questions; first time IR

Post by HikerAnn »

Thankfully others on this forum have helped me a lot with a hiking itinerary; we are staying at the lodge at RH for 3 days...no camping, only day trips. I am most grateful. Now, I have fishing questions. First, let it be known that I know nothing (nip, zilch, nada) about fishing. My nephew, his wife, hubby, and I are making my bucket list trip together. The males wish to fish. Is there any way they can fish besides the fishing charter? Rent a boat? Fish from a canoe? Thanks ever so much for the help.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Fishing questions; first time IR

Post by Base654 »

I fall into your category of fisherman except I own a lot of gear. I have had a very hard time over the years trying to find fish in any of the lakes and I think I finally caught the only one a few years ago. Many proper fishermen exist on this site that will give you some very good information, I have read it, I have tried it, and I have proven myself lacking in ability. I do enjoy drowning artificial worms though. The charter from the hotel seems pricey, but if it covers 3-4 people may be worth it just to take some fish home. Big pieces of salmon and trout for the freezer aren't cheap at the local store, but may be a a perk of the charter.

My point, If you want to actually catch fish, you might want to reconsider the charter.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

When are you going?
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

First, thanks Base654 for your insight. My nephew is the fisherman, has lots of gear, but since this is our first IR trip, we know nothing. If there are more people who are willing to split the cost of the charter, it is more do-able. That said, I was just looking for options.
Johnhens... We will be on IR July 18-21. We arrive Q1V on Thursday, and depart Sunday afternoon. Thanks.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

HikerAnn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:35 am First, thanks Base654 for your insight. My nephew is the fisherman, has lots of gear, but since this is our first IR trip, we know nothing. If there are more people who are willing to split the cost of the charter, it is more do-able. That said, I was just looking for options.
Johnhens... We will be on IR July 18-21. We arrive Q1V on Thursday, and depart Sunday afternoon. Thanks.
At that time of summer, Lake Trout are deep, you have to know where to go to catch them. A charter would be worth the money spent. If he wants to catch pike, a couple of options. Rent a boat and go to either Daisy Farm or Moskey Basin. At Daisy Farm, hike over to Sargent Lake to catch Northern. Backountry navigation skills required to get there as there are no trails.
You could go to Moskey and hike to Lake Richie (2 miles one way) to fish Lake Richie. Both good lakes for pike.
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

Thanks ever so much Johnhens. I told him about this wonderful forum and all the excellent advice. You made me smile with all the information. I have no clue what one fish is from another, but he will. Thanks again.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

If the fishermen among you are new to Lake Trout or Salmon then I agree the charter would be best. Their other option, if they have big lake experience would be to rent a boat (smaller runabouts with 10 to 15 hp outboards). Gear to run deep and a depth finder would very useful.They could try their hand at various shoals in and around Rock Harbor Channel (get a nautical chart beforehand). Also (as John points out) it would be an 8 mile trip to Moskey Basin and then a fairly easy 2 mile walk to Lake Ritchie where they are almost guaranteed Northern Pike success. A Michigan fishing license is required for all Lake Superior waters, none needed for inland lakes.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

Thanks ever so much Midwest Ed. If they go to Lake Ritchie, can they fish from the shore? I'm looking at my National Geo map and it looks like the RH to Moskey Basin is rather protected from Lake Superior...or is that not so? Also, how many people (or weight) could that boat handle? I wouldn't fish, but I could hike while they fish if I could start at Moskey Basin. Thanks again and again
Base654
Bushwacker

Post by Base654 »

The boats easily handle four and some gear, they are standard 14' &16', two & three bench rental boats. Rock harbor (that length of protected water) is usually fairly calm; The hotel area is technically Snug harbor. There are plenty of hikes to do in the Moskey area. You could even start back to the hotel and plan to be at one of the docks at a certain time to get picked up. If you get a boat I strongly suggest stopping at the rock harbor light house and the moose research center (across from Daisy farm). sometimes the harbor gets choppy or foggy and they wont rent boats, plan to rent early in the trip in case you have to reschedule.
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

Wow!! Y'all have opened up an end of IR I didn't think is get to see. What wonderful responses and options. How long does it take to boat (motor?) from RH to Moskey dock? I love the idea of seeing the lighthouse and moose research center. Thanks again and again😍
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Fishing from shore at Lake Ritchie shoreline is frequently done. One correction, the trip to Moskey Basin is closer to 11 miles, not 8. Depending upon the load in the boat, the trip should take less than an hour, maybe even closer to 45 minutes. You'll want to pay attention to the no wake zones in front of Mott Island and deeper inside Moskey Basin, although with a small boat the concern is pretty much if you are closer to shore. Most of the channel is protected but there are sections where the gaps between the outer islands can let the sometimes angry Superior's voice be heard. As Base654 noted, if the seas are rough, the Lodge operators can be conservative about letting boats out, so take advantage when you can.

My suggestion for a selection of nice day hikes is to have them drop you off at Daisy Farm. From there you can make a trek up to the Greenstone Ridge to the Mt Ojibwa fire tower. From there you can return to Daisy Farm by either back tracking or there is a triangular route back, or traverse the Greenstone to Mt Franklin and then back to Rock Harbor. The panoramic views are spectacular, especially on a clear day.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

More great advice! I'm so excited about this trip...and I appreciate all the help you've given me. I didn't even know renting a boat could be an option...what eye openers you have all been for me. The more I read, the more excited I get (doesn't even seem possible). IR has been on my bucket list for years and years...and finally...in July it is a happening. Any more advice is certainly welcome...Thanks ever so much.
Base654
Bushwacker

Post by Base654 »

So one HUGE danger at Isle Royale... If you go once, you will want to spend all of you vacations there. Then at some point, you will start making two trips per year... and then start looking for jobs in the area to be able to make more trips. be careful. :D
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

Oh Base 654...I can see how this could happen. I am staying at RH lodge this time; however, I see so many hiking options on the map.