Family trip planning

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

newb2019
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Family trip planning

Post by newb2019 »

chief54 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:11 pm more than happy to share images, I have a website also. gonna use motion sensing camera at night around campsite, over the years have had numerous visitors at night mostly moose and fox but who knows. during day will use off trail some where and see what there is to see.
Maybe you'll even get some wolves on camera...

Which brings me to a question that's been on my mind: how do I keep an active 5-year old from appearing like prey to wolves? He will sometimes run off alone down a trail.

I saw mention of Thermacell mosquito repellent in a magazine I was reading. I'm wondering if this is safe/effective/allowed method of keeping mosquitoes away from the cooking/eating area by the cabin during dinner time? Does anyone have experience with it?
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I have used Thermacell at home. I THINK it helps but I am never sure (maybe I would not have been bit anyway). Definitely affected by winds.

I doubt you have much to fear from wolves, unless your five year old wanders quite the distance from you. If that is the case, you have all sorts of things to worry about. Some of the trails can be dangerous, with drop offs to one side. Never really a problem for simple hikers, but a running toddler,....
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

As JerryB said wolves should not be a problem. I have a five year old grandson and I would not worry but I would try not to let him out of my sight, I know sometimes easier said than done. Believe it or not but I have been going to IR since 1965 and have never seen a wolf, heard them a lot and seen lots of sign but have never seen one.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

Since I asked about Thermacell, this might be useful to others:

It uses a butane cartridge, so wouldn't be permitted on aircraft. I'll order to WalMart for pickup.
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

We returned from our trip this week, will answer some of my questions here, will try to post a more complete trip report later on.
newb2019 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 pm I saw mention of Thermacell mosquito repellent in a magazine I was reading. I'm wondering if this is safe/effective/allowed method of keeping mosquitoes away from the cooking/eating area by the cabin during dinner time? Does anyone have experience with it?
We picked one up at Walmart and an extra set, ending up returning the extras. We only turned it on for cooking outdoors, but did not notice a difference in the number of mosquitos. Additionally, when I realized how it worked, essentially enveloping you in a fog of pesticide, we didn't really want to BE in the area when it was on. I'm not a fan even of DEET. We brought bug suits for some of us, and head nets for the rest. In 3 days, got bit less than one night at Wonder Lake.
newb2019 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:30 am
thesneakymonkey wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:19 pm Don’t use the spigot to shower. All the non natural soap will run off into the wilderness. Not exactly LNT. Embrace the being in nature part. One doesn’t have to shower every day. There are perfectly nice shower facilities in Windigo for a reasonable price.
To clarify, by "hose off," I meant a quick rinse, no soap. Showering in the evening instead of the morning might make more sense while on the island. Shower facilities=$5/5 min * 5 people * 3 days = $75. Easy place to cut costs. ;-)

But this does bring up another point, washing utensils/pots. The Greenstone talks about this, but unclear if it applies to the cabins. Is there a dishwashing sink in the Windigo area?

I see there is a fish cleaning station at Windigo. Any photos/videos?
I can't seem to quote my original question, but we did not bring any type of hose. For those wondering, I did check the spigot, and it can NOT accept attachments. There was a French drain, I believe they called it. I did not see a dishwashing sink at Windigo, and there was a sign in the Comfort Station asking not to wash cooking stuff there, so we did do it at the spigot. I did not notice a fish cleaning station either, but then again, we didn't catch any fish. :-)
newb2019 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:42 pm We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids ages 4-15), reservations for Windigo camper cabin early summer for 3 nights, transportation booked. We obviously won't be able to do too much hiking with kiddo. Any suggestions on how to fill/make-the-most-of our days? Some thoughts: hiking/ranger programs, become junior rangers, rent kayaks (where to go? tandem available?), go fishing (we're newbs). (Not doing: paying even MORE to go around the island on the ferry.) What hikes makes sense for us to include?

Does bringing an inflatable boat with oars make any sense whatsoever, maybe use that and rented kayak(s)? Will we need to bring our own life jackets or can we borrow/rent there?
Re: bedding. Will bring sleeping bags, etc. Should I bring the cold weather ones (40 degrees), or will the warm weather ones (50 degrees) be sufficient?

Is it realistic to think we could go for a swim in Lake Superior? If doable, where makes the most sense for our family?
I was looking forward to kayaking over to Beaver Island for a picnic lunch, but they only had two tandem kayaks. Not enough for the family. We would have opted for the motor boat, but although we had NO RAIN while we were there, severe weather was forecast, and they wanted the boat back early. I did bring a life vest for my little one.

More on the weather: although it dipped into the 40s the night before we arrived (it felt like the cabin was air conditioned when we first came), the warm sleeping bags were too warm most nights. Our last night I think was coolest, probably in the 50s.

We did not go for a swim; I was too concerned about the tapeworm risk.

Showers were $5.51.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

The fish cleaning station is near the water on the gravel “road” as you are walking towards the Washington creek campground.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

newb2019 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:11 am We did not go for a swim; I was too concerned about the tapeworm risk.
Just to clarify for those that might wonder, the tapeworm found on Isle Royale (which transfers between moose and wolves, and humans would be considered "aberrant intermediate hosts") is an ingestion risk. The eggs would be found in wolf feces, which potentially could be in the water sources. (Obviously, inland lakes are at a higher risk perhaps simply by dilution volume.)
I'm personally not concerned with swimming (even inland lakes) and just make sure you filter or boil water appropriately..

Leeches, on the other hand... :shock:
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

Tom wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm
newb2019 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:11 am We did not go for a swim; I was too concerned about the tapeworm risk.
Just to clarify for those that might wonder, the tapeworm found on Isle Royale (which transfers between moose and wolves, and humans would be considered "aberrant intermediate hosts") is an ingestion risk. The eggs would be found in wolf feces, which potentially could be in the water sources. (Obviously, inland lakes are at a higher risk perhaps simply by dilution volume.)
I'm personally not concerned with swimming (even inland lakes) and just make sure you filter or boil water appropriately..

Leeches, on the other hand... :shock:
Didn't want to risk kiddos licking their lips after swimming in the lake and ingesting it that way. Freshwater bodies of water make me nervous, what can I say.

Re the leeches: a kid that was there at the same time had that happen the day before we arrived. I'm a city person, don't want to deal with that. ;-)
thesneakymonkey wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:20 pm The fish cleaning station is near the water on the gravel “road” as you are walking towards the Washington creek campground.
We did hike that way, but must've missed it. If we had actually caught a fish, OTOH...