Windigo to Sugar Mt.

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

tammy.lykken-zimmerman
NewbieCake

Windigo to Sugar Mt.

Post by tammy.lykken-zimmerman »

This will be our first trip to IR and plan on only doing some day hiking trips. June 3-6
We plan on staying at Washington Creek Campground for our 4 days there.
On the first day, as we get in at 10AM, is it feasible to hike to Sugar Mt. and back if starting at noonish?
Day 2 plans is the Huginnin Cove Loop clockwise....maybe add a couple miles on the Minong Trail and back to Washington Creek.
Day 3 plan is to Cumberland Point via the Feldtmann Lake Trail and back.
Only carrying day pack with food/emergency gear so traveling lighter than most trekking across the island.
Do any of you experienced IR trekkers see an issue with that plan that we may be missing? Maybe estimated time you think for an average hiker on those trails?
Thanks for any advice!
bobcat
Bushwacker

Re: Windigo to Sugar Mt.

Post by bobcat »

Sugar Mountain IS the highest point on Isle Royale, but there is nothing there. No overlook, no view-you’re in dense forest. I don’t even recall a signpost. If you are trying to bag certain peaks and it is on your list, then that gives you a reason. If you are out for a scenic afternoon hike, you have several other, in my mind better, hikes out of Windigo.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

It's hard to say what an average hiker is, but if you have an idea of your average pace you should get a good idea. None of those trails are particularly difficult and you can generally keep a steady pace.
- The hike to Sugar Mt is not particularly notable, and you don't get any panoramic views, but it's a nice walk in the woods (hardwood forest). It's fairly gradual up, then gradual back. The 12ish miles may be a bit much after an early morning, the boat ride, and settling in, but certainly doable averaging 2-3 mph. And if you decide to turn around early you won't be missing something you haven't seen--I'm not even sure when I crossed the "summit", it's rather indistinct.
- The Huginnin Loop has a gorgeous stretch along the shoreline.
- I don't think Cumberland Pt is very accessible without some tough off-trail bushwacking. But Grace Overlook is on the way with nice views, and the trail is interesting before and after. Like day 1, it's an out and back so you can decide when to turn around.
Be prepared for muddy trails and walking through mud holes. Also, the winter deadfall should be cleared by then, but possible that they haven't gotten to all the trails yet. Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Your ideas look good. Huginin cove loop has some interesting historical relics along the way, and the cove itself is a pretty little rocky cove. I might do this the day you arrive. Then days 2 and 3 could be out the Minong until you find the good overlooks and back, and out toward Feldman Lake until you get to the big overlook of the whole basin spread out in front of you. That’s where I got treed by a moose, but that’s another story.....that leaves your last morning to walk the nature trail and jump off the dock into Lake Superior to celebrate your great trip!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I agree with all comments on Sugar Mountain. I have never known when I was there or not. You will also have the option to rent a canoe and explore the harbor. Enjoy.
tammy.lykken-zimmerman
NewbieCake

Thank you for the info on Sugar Mt. I think we may try to do more on the Minong Trail instead of Sugar Mt.
And yes, love the suggestion to jump in Lake Superior on the last AM on IR. I had to do that on our visit to Grand Portage also:)
So glad we asked...your advice is very helpful!
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Bobcat1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:09 pm Your ideas look good. Huginin cove loop has some interesting historical relics along the way, and the cove itself is a pretty little rocky cove. I might do this the day you arrive. Then days 2 and 3 could be out the Minong until you find the good overlooks and back, and out toward Feldman Lake until you get to the big overlook of the whole basin spread out in front of you. That’s where I got treed by a moose, but that’s another story.....that leaves your last morning to walk the nature trail and jump off the dock into Lake Superior to celebrate your great trip!
Not to hijack the thread but I have to hear the “treed by a moose” story.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

We might overlap at Washington Creek! I'll be a muddy 50-something lady with a purple backpack.

Also: I want to join the chorus of people predicting that you won't be smitten by Sugar Mountain's panoramas; second the suggestion that you consider canoeing in Washington Harbor for (at least part of) a day; and join thesneakymonkey in clamoring for the "treed by a moose" story!
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Overprotective mama moose with a baby that was curious and kept coming closer to check me out. I backed up about 100 yds to give them room, and picked a climbable tree to stop beside, and wait for them to leave. But the baby kept coming my direction, the mama was snorting and stamping and shaking her head at me. When she charged, I climbed the tree and stayed quiet 15 feet off the ground, until mama gave up on me and took the baby and left the area. That was 4th of July, 2000.
tammy.lykken-zimmerman
NewbieCake

Bobcat1 ~Thank you for the 'treed by a Moose' story...I was curious what happened. Hoping I do not need to climb....I haven't done tree climbing since I was much, much younger:)

Torpified~ I hope we run into you. I will be the short lady - probably laughing at something I just oopsed about - and guessing full of mud also. I will look for ya along the way or at Washington Creek if you are there.