Picnic Tables in Group Sites?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Picnic Tables in Group Sites?

Post by Tightlines01 »

Hi all,

This will be my 10th trip to the Island this year, but the 1st time I've been in the Group sites. I've never gone with more than a few people, however, this year, I'll be bringing another adult and 6 youth with me. As such we'll be staying in the group camp sites (obviously). I've already got the permitting and route set and such, but I was trying to remember if there were picnic tables in the group sites for seating. I do know from experience that the individual sites and shelters that have a dock access to Superior will likely have a picnic table, but what about the group sites?
Our Campgrounds we're visiting....
Night 1 = 3 Mile (individual sites do have them)
Night 2 = Moskey (individual sites do have them)
Night 3 = McCargoe (individual sites do have them)
Night 4 = West Chickenbone (I know these do not have picnic tables).
Night 5 = Daisy Farm (individual sites do have them)
Night 6 = 3 Mile (individual sites do have them)

Anyone know? I've got nice fold up chair from REI that I bring at times, but honestly, it's heavy and if I only have one campground without a picnic table, I likely will not bring it to save weight.

Thanks
Andy
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Picnic Tables in Group Sites?

Post by Tom »

Yes. I checked a few campsite photos to confirm, but from all the group sites I recall, if the shelters and individual sites have them at that camp, so does the group site. Note, however, sometimes they may get shuffled around and not properly returned, so your results may vary or you may need to poke around to see where it moved off to...
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

I know for a fact that there were picnic tables in the group sites at Daisy Farm, Moskey Basin, and Three-Mile. I know that there was not a picnic table in a group site at Hatchet Lake. I think it depends on access for work boats to bring in lumber.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

Excellent. Thanks all. Confirms my thoughts...
Pretty sure that I’ll leave the camp chair at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

After searching my memory and older forum posts, I can assure you that any campground located on Lake Superior that also has a dock will also have picnic tables, even at the group sites. All inland campgrounds have no picnic tables. Also, Tom's warning that picnic tables can sometimes "walk away" is quite valid. The most often place to find them moved to is inside shelters and on the dock. If yours happens to be missing just look around for the odd one or the extra one hanging out somewhere. If the "extra" one is in use I would not hesitate to bring it up to the present owners. They'll probably even help you carry it back to its "home".

Also, so that you don't miss having your chair too much, I suggest you bring a small piece of closed cell foam for your posterior adornment. If you can find the room it will weigh almost nothing.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

Hi Ed,
Excellent advice. I have a great piece of closed cell foam I bought from Dutch Ware Gear. It’s super light and folds into 1/4s. I love it as it’s weight is minuscule and as it’s designed to fold in half and then half again so it doesn’t take up space like a chunk cut off of an old pad. It’ll be coming for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk