First timer to IR any tips on my gear setup would be appreciated

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Royce6974
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

First timer to IR any tips on my gear setup would be appreciated

Post by Royce6974 »

Going May 17th-24th to IR for the first time just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on my gear selection. Trip is focused on fishing rather than milage so lots of standing around at camp/fishing.

Pack- Arc Haul 62l
Tent- Duplex
Sleeping mat- Neoair xlite
Pillow- Big Sky dream sleeper
Quilt- 30 degree katabatibc flex
Helinox Chair zero
lt5 trekking poles

Kitchen
Toaks 750
toaks long handle spoon
toaks small wood stove
brs stove
1 can fuel
small bic
zpacks food bag
smart water bottle x2 1 liters
sawyer micro squeeze
cnoc vecto 2l dirty water bag

Clothing including worn
Marmot minimalist
marmot precip pants
EE apex torrid jacket
Patagonia R1 hoody
Patagonia R1 pants
1 pair convertible pants
1 pair patagonia capilene air pants
3 pair darn tough socks
1 pair seal skinz waterproof socks
2 pair exoficio boxers
1 smart wool t-shirt
1 nike dry fit t-shirt
fleece beenie
fleece gloves
altra gaiters

These are the main items I'm looking for input on i also have small electronics bag, first aid, patch kit, and fishing gear.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: First timer to IR any tips on my gear setup would be appreciated

Post by Base654 »

HI, Welcome to the forums.

Most of your gear looks good. You are obviously an ultra-lighter. I do have a couple of concerns.

I looked up your quilt and I couldn't find the specs on the rating system used. Most companies are switching to the European system which is standardized and far more accurate when comparing bags. Your bag is rated by the manufacture as 30 degree, but is that comfort in your undies? base layer? Damp? Dry? or is it minimum safe? I ask because the island can slap you with some very cold nights in mid May and you might have miserable nights even with all of your clothes on. I take my 20 degree bag with a silk liner and will still wear my thick insulation on a few nights just to be warm. There is often snow on the ground in June (small spots, but it's still there).

I like that you have a backup stove. Dry wood for fires can sometimes be hard to find. Pine twigs near the base of the tree may be sufficient for cooking.

I suggest taking your back flush equipment for your Micro squeeze. I have plugged up a mini on occasion. I expect with a filter as small as a micro, you will have to back flush once or twice.

Be sure to download a copy of the Greenstone paper and bone up on the fishing regulations. There are some catch and release species, no barbs on hooks on inland lakes and bag limits, just to name a few. A Michigan licence is required for Superior waters, none for inland.

I suggest a drybag or a couple trash bags for your extra clothes and sleeping bag. it's a lot easier to be warm if you're dry.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Personal preference: I like having (i) a microfiber towel (< 2 oz), for sopping up the condensation I can't shake off my tent before packing it up in the morning, (ii) camp slippers, and (iii) sun gloves (both for sun protection and to prevent trekking poles blisters).

Also (probably things you're already packing but didn't list because they go without saying): headnet (in case the bugs are out) and other insect amelioration measures, spare matches, headlamp/flashlight, paper map and compass, ratty mystery novel
Royce6974
NewbieCake

Post by Royce6974 »

Thanks for the advice I will add a sleeping bag liner just in case of colder nights. I plan to backflush with a sports cap on my water bottle. All of my clothing and sleeping bag are in ZPacks dry bags so should be good there. I have NG map and screenshots of the fishing regulations. Hoping to tryout the wood stove but worst case I end up cold soaking lol.( not my favorite thing to do) I do have a few light load towels for condensation packed bug net deet and picardin for bugs and a headlamp. As for navigating I have a compass on my watch and a Garmin inreach mini. I would love to find space for some camp shoes but pack is already pretty full. My plan for camp shoes was just seal skinz socks in my wet shoes. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to look over my stuff and give your advice.
Royce6974
NewbieCake

Post by Royce6974 »

I have decided to order EE Revelation 10 degree last min after looking into the real feel temps at night. Hopefully it makes it in time for the trip. Thanks again if you hadn't said anything i would have not researched the temps any further and had some miserable nights.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Royce6974 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:09 am I would love to find space for some camp shoes but pack is already pretty full. My plan for camp shoes was just seal skinz socks in my wet shoes.
Love my Crocs for camp shoes. I just tie them to the outside of my pack.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Looks good except for the two stoves. I’d leave the wood one behind. One canister stove is all you need. The island seemed to always be perpetually wet when I was there. Dry wood may be hard to come by.
Ted4bp
NewbieCake

Post by Ted4bp »

You are off to a good start!!!

Like the others have said plus...

I made a few mistakes over the years but you are off to a good start! I only wore one pair of socks (DT) and two extra pair plus a pair of hot socks. Next time, I will only take one pair on my feet and my hot socks to sleep in, ditch the other two. I have over two hundred miles on a pair of dt's, 90 on IR.

Happy Trails!
Ted